Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Wycombe 0-0 Bury

6 September 2014

Wanderers held Bury to a goalless draw in an entertaining encounter at Adams Park on Saturday.

Both sides enjoyed chances but Wycombe will feel they probably had the better opportunities to snatch all three points, seeing Peter Murphy's near-post header brilliantly saved by the keeper, before a stoppage-time goalmouth scramble resulted in the ball being scrambled clear.

After making five changes for Tuesday’s Johnstone’s Paint Trophy clash with Coventry, Gareth Ainsworth reverted to the same starting XI that drew 0-0 at York last weekend.

There was an early scare when Andrew Tutte curled an effort against the crossbar following a corner for the visitors, before Wanderers broke and released Paris Cowan-Hall into the box, but the winger’s shot crept wide under pressure.

On 10 minutes, Peter Murphy and Sam Wood bore down on goal with a succession of neat passes before Wood pulled the trigger and forced a smart save from Bob Lainton with a stinging drive from 20 yards.

Wood again troubled Lainton with a shot from further out, before Murphy was presented with a great opportunity but couldn’t connect properly with an awkward bouncing ball onto his left foot.

The hosts continued to create the better chances – as they did on Tuesday night – and came close again when Alfie Mawson met Joe Jacobson’s deep corner but couldn’t steer his header into the net.

Bury grew into the game and almost scored on 36 minutes when Danny Mayor’s low drive was superbly kept out by Matt Ingram, with the ball seemingly destined for the bottom corner.

There were no more chances before the break and the opening to the second period was relatively quiet too, although Sam Wood did have a chance when a deflected cross fell to his feet but he fired wide.

There was a long delay around the hour-mark when Steven Craig went down under an aerial challenge with Pablo Mills and needed lengthy treatment for a head injury, before leaving the field to be replaced by Matt McClure for the striker’s 100th appearance for the club.

Murphy came so close to breaking the deadlock on 71 minutes when Wood clipped a ball into the box from the byline and the midfielder nodded towards the near post, only to see keeper Bob Lainton make a superb reflex save before it was scrambled wide.

Bury began to up the tempo in the final 10 minutes, but found the Wanderers backline tough to break down, with both full-backs in particular performing admirably to stifle the visitors’ attacking threat down the wings.

There were 11 minutes of stoppage time due to the lengthy stoppage for Craig’s treatment, in which time Wanderers were somehow denied twice by the crossbar in as many seconds. A dramatic goalmouth scramble saw Murphy and McClure both attempt to bundle the ball home, but the woodwork came to the rescue of the visitors.

Then Nicky Adams fired a rocket which flew just over the bar,

Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Mawson, Pierre, Cowan-Hall (Kretzschmar 90), Murphy, Rowe (Bloomfield 87), Wood, Craig (McClure 68), Hayes.

Subs: Richardson, Scowen, Walker, Holloway.

Bury: Lainton, Jones, Hussey, Cameron, Mills, Mayor, Soares (Holmes 87), Tutte, Etuhu, Rose (Poole 90), Lowe (Adams 71).

Subs: Jalal, Sedgwick, Poscha.

Ref: Mr K Johnson.

Attendance: 3,483 (321)

Winning 50/50 Number: 109238
Prize Money: £588.50

Advertisement block