Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

We've Met Before - Dagenham & Redbridge

10 July 2014

Dagenham and Redbridge formed in 1992 after a merger between Redbridge Forest and Dagenham.

Their inaugural season was in the Conference, replacing Redbridge Forest. After a few seasons at the same level the club were relegated to the Isthmian Premier Division in 1996. The club play at Victoria Road which has a capacity of 6,078.

Promotion back to the Conference in 1999-2000 was the beginning of a successful period for the Daggers as they established themselves as a competitive Conference club. The club was denied promotion to the Football League after coming runners-up to Boston United. A points deduction against Boston for illegal payments to players looked like it may reprieve the hope of promotion but it was carried over to the next season and Dagenham spent the next three seasons in mid-table.

Long-serving manager John Still led the club to a record-breaking promotion to the Football League in 2006-07 and immediately established itself in League Two the following year, finishing eighth. The 2009-10 campaign saw Still mastermind another promotion, this time to League One after a thrilling 3-2 play-off final win over Rotherham. The club was immediately relegated back to League Two however and have remained there since.

Wayne Burnett took over the club after Still left for Luton Town in February 2013 and was named permanent manager after a successful temporary spell in charge. The Daggers have one of the lowest average attendances in the Football League but Burnett guided the club comfortably into midtable last season.

Chris Lewington, Alex Osborn, Chris Dickson, Jordan Seabright and Matt Saunders were all released in the summer. John Still raided his old club this week to sign defender Luke Wilkinson. Burnett has so far brought in Liam O'Brien, Ashley Chambers, Mark Cousins, Nathan Green, Damian Batt, Matt Partridge and Joss Labadie.

The Daggers travel to High Wycombe on Saturday 25th October 2014.

The return fixture in East London is set for Saturday 28th March 2015.

Advertisement block