Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Wycombe 0-2 Reading

26 July 2014

Blues succumbed to a 2-0 home loss to a strong Reading outfit at Adams Park on Saturday afternoon.

In stifling conditions, the Championship outfit enjoyed the better of the possession and goalscoring chances throughout, resulting in a gruelling 90 minutes for Gareth Ainsworth's men.

Pavel Pogrebnyak and Jake Taylor scored in each half to make the Royals' dominance count, in front of a crowd of 1,697 in South Bucks.

Kick-off was preceded by a minute’s applause in memory of life member Edie Hart and 13-year-old local lad Kyrece Francis, who lost their lives just a few days ago.

The first chance of the game fell to young Royals front-man Ryan Edwards, who was sent through one-on-one with Matt Ingram after just four minutes, but scuffed his effort the wrong side of the post.

Jake Taylor fired over from a tight angle on 11 minutes as the Championship side looked to exert their authority, and they thought they’d scored midway through the first half when the same player nodded home only to be denied by an offside flag.

Hal Robson-Kanu volleyed over from 20 yards as the visitors continued to hold the upper hand, although the Blues were industrious, working hard to close down the Royals in searing heat and holding their 4-4-2 shape well.

However, they fell behind on 40 minutes when Jordan Obita’s deep cross found Pavel Pogrebnyak in space at the back post, and the Russian made no mistake heading past Matt Ingram for the game’s first goal.

Jake Taylor then lashed wastefully wide from inside the box as the Royals threatened to double their advantage before the interval, while Robson-Kanu could only find the gloves of Ingram with a shot on the turn from 12 yards.

Gareth Ainsworth rotated his defence at the break, bringing Aaron Pierre into the middle with Sido Jombati to left-back and Tommy Fletcher to right-back.

Within a minute, they were almost level when Matt McClure glanced on a free-kick but Adam Federici made a smart save down to his left.

At the other end, Sean Morrison’s goalbound header was deflected wide for a corner before Taylor’s blast was blocked in the six-yard box by Matt Bloomfield.

Further interventions from Pierre and Fletcher kept the game within reach, while Ingram’s brave challenge on Pogrebnyak denied a second goal of the game for the former Fulham man.

Reading sub Nick Blackman caused a stir within minutes of entering the field, unleashing a stinging left-footed drive from 30 yards which crashed against the crossbar and away to safety.

Paul Hayes shot straight at Federici on 69 minutes following a poor clearance from the keeper, before Blackman against posed a threat with a low shot which forced a save from Ingram.

Jake Taylor had been the game’s outstanding player and finally grabbed the goal his play deserved, clipping home neatly from a cross into the box, before a spate of substitutions allowed Nigel Adkins to look at his fringe players while the result looked safe.

The home fans' biggest applause of the match was saved for the 90th minute, when Matt Ingram produced a stunning one-handed save to deny Blackman, before referee Pat Miller brought proceedings to a close.

Wanderers travel to Wealdstone on Tuesday night before completing their pre-season schedule at Barnet next Saturday, ahead of the big league kick-off at Newport on 9th August.

Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Pierre, Fletcher, Doherty, Bloomfield (Kretzschmar 71), Scowen (Evans 84), Murphy, Wood, Hayes (Craig 81), McClure (Morias 81).

Unused subs: Horlock, Ainsworth, Hudson.

Reading: Federici, Gunter (Long 77), Obita (Stacey 77), Morrison (Cooper 77), Pearce (Sweeney 77), Edwards (Kuhl 77), Hector (Cummings 45), Akpan (Tshibola 77), Taylor (Griffin 77), Robson-Kanu (Blackman 61), Pogrebnyak (Tanner 77).

Unused subs: McCarthy.

Goal: Pogrebnyak (40)

Ref: Mr P Miller

Attendance: 1,697 (840 from Reading)

Winning 50/50 Draw number:103307
Prize fund: £229.00

Advertisement block