Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: Blues 0-0 Accy

8 February 2014

Blues drew a blank at home again as they were held to a 0-0 draw by fellow strugglers Accrington Stanley at Adams Park.

Attendance: 3,073.

Booked: Odejayi, Winnard.

Subs: Liddle, Atkinson, Windass, Hatfield, Webber.

Accrington: Bettinelli, Hunt, Wilson, Aldred, Winnard, Mingoia, Joyce, Murphy, Naismith (Molyneux 38), Bowerman (Gray 62), Odejayi.

Booked: Styche.

Subs: Horlock, Stewart, Kretzschmar, Jeffrey, Kuffour.

Wanderers: Ingram, Arnold, Doherty, Johnson, Wood, Cowan-Hall (McClure 73), Lewis, Scowen, Bloomfield, Styche (Craig 57), Morgan.

James Gray’s stoppage time shot was blocked and Odejayi headed over, and it’s the visitors who will be happier with their point as the Chairboys’ search for a win continues.

There were hearts in mouths on 84 minutes when Piero Mingoia turned home Laurence Wilson’s cross, but the linesman’s flag came to the rescue.

Matt McClure came on for Paris Cowan-Hall on 73 minutes, but it was Stanley who began to gather more momentum and caused a scare with a couple of dangerous corners which were well dealt with.

It was Styche’s final input, being replaced by Steven Craig on 57 minutes, before Lee Molyneux sent a wayward shot over the bar and Josh Scowen’s piledriver was deflected away for a corner in two rare half-chances.

They almost found an opener in spectacular circumstances, with Styche spinning and sending a fine effort towards the top corner, but the keeper was equal to it, tipping the ball behind.

That was about it in terms of opportunities in the first 45 minutes, and while the Blues were again the greater attacking force at the start of the second period, they were let down by their final ball and  some below-par deliveries from set-pieces.

There was a yellow card for Stanley striker Kayode Odejayi on 31 minutes for clipping Matt Ingram with an outstretched boot, while Lewis then got his footwork all wrong as the ball broke to him inside the area after a surge forward from Bloomfield.

Reece Styche went into the referee’s notebook nine minutes later for a harshly adjudged foul on Tom Aldred, before Stuart Lewis’ powerful volley was blocked en route to goal when Nick Arnold’s corner was cleared to him 20 yards out.

Two early stoppages for injuries to Stanley defenders prevented the game from developing any real tempo, but Wycombe started on the front foot and saw a deep cross by Matt Bloomfield just evade an onrushing Paris Cowan-Hall at the back post after 12 minutes.

Boss Gareth Ainsworth had made three changes to his starting line-up but the returning Dean Morgan and Paris Cowan-Hall were unable to inspire a much-needed victory in a game of few chances.

Advertisement block