Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stoke Poges pupils turn reporters for the day

1 December 2014

Find out more about a special visit to Adams Park by a local school.

For the game against Burton Albion last month, we welcomed students from Stoke Poges School's ‘Gifted and Talented Programme’ who were challenged with the task of writing a match report from the game.

They received a tour of the stadium and received top tips on how to write their reports, before watching the match from an executive box.

We have selected two winners whose work is published below – one from each half of the game.


1st half – by Gurgas Bola

There was a huge buzz around Adams Park for this top of the table clash. Leading goal-scorer Paul Hayes and 10-year veteran Matt Bloomfield started for Wycombe, and the newly appointed manager of Burton, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank, had his first taste of being the manager. Too many yellow cards for Aaron Pierre and Josh Scowen made him unable to play in this crucial game. Stuart Beavon and John Mousinho faced their old clubs in Wycombe.

Burton took kick-off and straight away Hogan Ephraim hit the ball to the left of the wrong side of the post three minutes in.

Ephraim ran down the right wing again and got a cross in but Hayes hit it just wide of the right side of the goal in the 6th minute.

A high leg from a Wycombe defender caused Burton fans to let their voices be heard with just under a third of the half played.

In the 18th minute of the game, Bloomfield ran down the wing and the ball narrowly missed the head of Sam Wood.

Bloomfield had a spectacular run down the right and managed to get a cross in and Hogan got a pass on to Hayes who hit it wide marginally in the 32nd minute of the game.

Burton got a corner off a Wycombe player and converted that chance into a headed goal from Phil Edwards in the 38th minute.

2nd half – by Kate Finan

After half time, both teams tried to up their games. Wycombe tried to make the score even and Burton were trying to keep their advantage on the Chairboys. A few unlucky shots were taken by Wycombe players until the Brewers managed to score their second goal making it 2-0.

The crowd cheered as Wycombe Wanderers were awarded a penalty. Everyone remained quiet, letting the players concentrate, until their top striker, Paul Hayes, kicked the ball into the back of the net making the score 2-1 to Burton. The crowd all jumped up and roared with joy and celebration.

Jacob Blyth of Burton managed then to score another goal using a header in the 68th minute.  After this, Wycombe became more determined and did score a goal. The Wycombe crowd went wild until the announcement of the goal scorer being offside.

In the 79th minute of the football match, Darragh Lenihan of Burton Albion was yellow carded. Most of the Wycombe fans disagreed with this decision by the referee and thought Darragh had a lucky escape.

Then, in the 82nd minute, a severe clash of heads occurred with Matty Palmer of Burton and Alfie Mawson of Wycombe. Alfie was not allowed to play in the rest of the match and 10 minutes extra time was added, making up for the time taken.

At the final whistle, the match ended with a score of 3-1 to the Brewers but both teams had worked hard and played well throughout the game.

Thank you to everyone who submitted a match report - Jason Bardouille, Callum Mace, Anya Macauley, Angelica Braithwaite, Hana Selli and Kieran Coyne.

Advertisement block