Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Accrington 1-1 Wycombe

20 December 2014

Wanderers secured a point at Accrington Stanley in the absence of manager Gareth Ainsworth, with Paris Cowan-Hall on target.

Wycombe came flying out of the blocks and could hjave had more to show for their efforts than just Cowan-Hall's sublime effort into the top corner which broke the deadlock early on.

However, Stanley rallied after the interval and quickly found a leveller when Sean Maguire headed home, but neither side could find a winner to ensure Wanderers will finish 2015 having not lost on a Saturday since April.

Ainsworth was struck down with a bug in midweek and was advised to stay at home by the club doctor, leaving Richard Dobson in charge of the team at the Store First Stadium.

Dobson’s side was unchanged from the XI that performed superbly in the 4-1 win over Southend last weekend, with Matt McClure looking to build on his two-goal haul alongside Paul Hayes in attack.

McClure headed an early corner over the bar, Sam Wood missed the target with a powerful drive from distance and Joe Jacobson’s free-kick was blocked all in the opening five minutes, as the visitors looked to attack right from the first whistle.

Kai Naismith then saw his free-kick deflected wide at the other end, before Blues opened the scoring in spectacular style. They kept the ball alive in Stanley territory following a throw-in, and when it landed at the feet of Paris Cowan-Hall, he picked his spot with a superb strike from the corner of the box to beat keeper Luke Simpson.

Wanderers were well on top, seeing Alfie Mawson head over from a corner, before the same player tried his luck with an audacious free-kick from 45 yards which flew not far wide.

Then Aaron Pierre did brilliantly to keep a chance alive by returning a deep corner into the six-yard box, and after a Stanley defender made a mess of the clearance, Cowan-Hall fired a half-volley over the bar.

Stanley began to get a hold of the game midway through the half and set-pieces looked to be their best chance of an equaliser, seeing Tom Aldred drill narrowly wide when a free-kick was deflected into his path.

At the other end, Matt McClure clipped a difficult chance wide from Sam Wood’s cross from the right, before the half came to a close with Wanderers reasonably comfortably ahead.

They began the second period brightly with a succession of early corners, one of which saw the ball bounce just wide following a scramble, but they were pegged back by a set piece at the other end with 49 minutes on the clock.

Joe Jacobson was booked for a foul out wide and when Kai Naismith’s free-kick came in, Sean Maguire raced in front of his man to glance home a header at the near post, giving Matt Ingram no chance.

The Blues nearly responded in perfect fashion when Hayes flicked a header narrowly wide from Jacobson’s cross, but Stanley had their tails up and enjoyed more of the attacking pressure, seeing Ingram make a fine save from a deep free-kick which looked to be heading straight in.

He was called into action again when John O’Sullivan headed goalwards from yet another delivery, before the visitors found their rhythm again and enjoyed a better spell in the final third, without being able to test Simpson sufficiently.

The keeper needed to be alert to tip away a low drive from Cowan-Hall when Sam Wood picked him out with a fine through-ball, but the chances dried up as the game drew to its conclusion.

Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Mawson, Pierre, Cowan-Hall, Murphy (Rowe 85), Scowen, Wood, Hayes (Holloway 76), McClure.

Unused subs: Richardson, Lewis, Bloomfield, Onyedinma, Craig.

Accrington: Simpson, Hunt, Winnard, Aldred, Atkinson, Procter, Joyce, O’Sullivan, McCartan, Maguire, Naismith.

Unused subs: Dawber, Liddle, Gray, Molyneux, Mingoia, Barry, Crooks.

Referee: Mr L Probert.

Advertisement block