Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Wycombe 0-2 Tranmere

19 August 2014

Wanderers suffered defeat for the first time this season as a goal in each half helped Tranmere to victory at Adams Park.

The hosts may feel harshly done by given the number of chances they created in the game, but a fine goalkeeping display from Owain Fon Williams, coupled with two tidy finishes, were enough to give Rob Edwards' men the points.

Cole Stockton guided home Max Power's cross in the first half and Power was on target himself after the interval, finding the net through a crowd of bodies with a well-measured left-footed shot.

Wanderers got the game up and running with an unchanged side for the fourth game running at the start of the season, with Stuart Lewis’ return to the bench the only tweak to Gareth Ainsworth’s matchday squad.

The first chance of the match fell to visiting captain Marcus Holness and it’s possibly one he should have buried, sending a free header straight at Matt Ingram from Jason Koumas’ corner.

At the other end, Max Kretzschmar tested Owain Fon Williams with a low drive from 20 yards which needed a strong save down to the keeper’s right, before the Welshman produced an even better response to Michael Ihiekwe’s misguided header from Paris Cowan-Hall’s cross.

Tranmere were posing a stronger attacking threat than either of Wanderers’ previous league opponents and took the lead on 21 minutes when Cole Stockton met Max Power’s excellent cross with a well-placed strike to beat Matt Ingram.

The visitors then began to take hold of the game as Wanderers struggled to break them down, although Max Kretzschmar had Fon Williams worried with a low drive which flashed just past the post.

A bright ending to the half didn’t produce the goal Wycombe were looking for, but they continued to attack after the interval and saw Fon Williams produce another smart save from Wood’s drive before Paul Hayes and Matt McClure exchanged passes but couldn’t get a shot away.

And they received a sucker punch moments later when Max Power drilled home Rovers’ second goal of the night through a crowd of players, after a series of half-clearances from the home defence wasn’t enough to alleviate the danger.

McClure headed wide from a Kretzschmar cross before making way for Aaron Holloway in a bid to change Wycombe’s fortunes up front, and the big striker caused a nuisance early on before paving the way for Hayes to shoot, only to see it blocked behind for a corner.

Joe Jacobson fizzed one wide from distance on 65 minutes before Danny Rowe replaced Max Kretzschmar in midfield, and Paul Hayes brought a save from the visiting keeper with a stinging shot from distance.

Rovers had barely had a sniff in the second half other than that all-important goal which doubled their advantage, but they were indebted to their keeper and a lack of a clinical touch from their opponents as they held on to their lead.

Sam Wood and Danny Rowe were both denied in quick succession by brave blocks inside the area, which summed up Wycombe’s night as they left the field empty-handed.

Wanderers: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Mawson, Pierre, Cowan-Hall (Craig 81), Murphy, Kretzschmar (Rowe 76), Wood, Hayes (c), McClure (Holloway 57).

Unused subs: Richardson, Lewis, Bloomfield, Walker.

Tranmere: Fon Williams, Woodards, Hill, Ihiekwe, Holness (c), Laird, Koumas, Power, Richards, Kirby, Stockton.

Unused subs: Ramsbottom, Donacien, Bruna, Gill, Gumbs, Rowe, Odejayi.

Booked: Ihiekwe

Attendance: 3,005 (254 away fans)

Winning 50/50 Draw Number: 107421
Prize Money: £511.00

Advertisement block