Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: Plymouth 0-3 Blues

14 September 2013

Second-half goals from Sam Wood, Dean Morgan and Billy Knott saw the Chairboys extend their winning run to four games with a fine 3-0 victory at Plymouth.

Gareth Ainsworth made two changes with last week’s match-winner Max Kretzschmar and Dean Morgan in from the start.

Nick Arnold and Matt McClure were the men to make way, while the available-again Matt Bloomfield and Charles Dunne featured on the bench.

Josh Scowen (ankle) and Jon-Paul Pittman (back) missed out again, and the game came too soon for former Plymouth man Paris Cowan-Hall, who is nearing fitness following a knee injury.

Wanderers started well and Kretzschmar saw a header deflected wide before Steven Craig forced goalkeeper Luke McCormick into a mistake to win a corner.

Matt Ingram did superbly well to tip former Blues loanee Reuben Reid’s header on to the bar, but the effort wouldn’t have counted anyway as the assistant had raised his flag.

Chairboys were creating the better chances and Sam Wood fired wide at the far post after being picked out superbly by Kretzschmar.

Ainsworth’s men were inches away from taking the lead in the 18th minute when Gary Doherty eluded his marker to meet Wood’s corner, but his header hit the top of the crossbar.

Chances were few and far between and Kretzschmar was involved again 10 minutes before the mark when he received the ball from Craig before cleverly turning his marker, however, his shot lacked power and McCormick made a comfortable save.

That was to be the final chance of the half as both sides struggled to breakthrough well-organised defences, but Blues went into the break on top and seeing more of the ball.

Plymouth’s first shot on target came two minutes after the break, but Reid’s header was tame and straight at Ingram.

The hosts were much improved after the restart and Doherty bravely blocked Hamza Bencherif’s close-range shot before an almighty goalmouth scramble ended with the Blues being awarded a free-kick.

Rommy Boco then did well to turn past McCoy, but Leon Johnson blocked the winger’s shot which looked destined for the far corner.

Craig was just unable to get on the end of Morgan’s cross following a break from Kretzschmar and that was the striker’s last involvement as he was replaced by McClure in the 67th minute.

Morgan cut in from the right and curled wide as the Blues began to wrestle back control of the game and their efforts were rewarded in the 70th minute.

McClure, who set up both goals against Hartlepool, found Wood, who dug the ball out his feet before firing an unstoppable 25-yard strike past McCormick and into the top corner.

It was 2-0 three minutes later when McClure hooked the ball on for Morgan and the striker outpaced his marker before slotting into the far corner.

For the second week running Ainsworth’s substitutions had an immediate effect and he made his second change 12 minutes from time with Jo Kuffour replacing Morgan, before bringing on Bloomfield for Kretzschmar two minutes later.

Plymouth right-back Durrell Berry fired wide five minutes from time as the hosts pushed forward looking for a way back into the contest.

However, the Blues saved their best until last and wrapped up the game in some style in injury-time. Kuffour burst forward and played a perfectly-weighted through ball to Knott who exquisitely chipped the advancing McCormick for number three.

Wanderers: Ingram, McCoy, Hause, Doherty, Johnson, Kretzschmar (Bloomfield 81), Lewis (c), Knott, Wood, Craig (McClure 67), Morgan (Kuffour 78).
Subs: Harrison, Stewart, Dunne, Arnold.

Subs: Cole, Blanchard, Wotton, Nelson. 
Plymouth: McCormick, Berry, Reckford, Branston, Trotman, Alessandra (Harvey 82), Hourihane (c), Bencherif (Gurrieri 78), Boco, Reid, Morgan (Blackman 71).


Advertisement block