Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Pompey game abandoned

22 October 2013

Wanderers’ Sky Bet League 2 clash with Portsmouth was abandoned at half-time due to a waterlogged pitch.

Billy Knott had given the Chairboys the lead in the 30thminute with a stunning right-footed effort, but the hosts hit back through Patrick Agyemang a minute the break.

However, that counted for nothing as torrential rainfall, which affected the majority of the first half, continued at the break, making the playing surface at Fratton unplayable.

Gareth Ainsworth named an unchanged XI from Saturday’s win at Bristol Rovers with the only alteration coming on the bench where Sam Wood replaced Matt Spring. 

Portsmouth enjoyed the majority of early possession, but their high backline allowed Billy Knott to pick out former Pompey man Paris Cowan-Hall behind the defence, however, he was eventually well challenged on the edge of the area.

The hosts thought they had taken the lead in the 12th minute when neat play from Jed Wallace saw Patrick Agyemang fire under Matt Ingram, but the striker had fouled Anthony Stewart in the build-up.

Torrential rainfall started to fall with thunder and lightning not far behind, making conditions difficult for both sides, but it was the Blues who adapted the quickest.

Josh Scowen was inches away from giving Wanderers the lead in the 19th minute when neat build-up saw the ball fall to the midfielder and the edge of the area, and his powerful effort flew just wide with Trevor Carson well beaten.

Knott came even close less than 60 seconds later when Carson did well to tip his effort over the bar after the Sunderland loanee had broken forward from halfway.

Cowan-Hall was again involved in the 25th minute, but his effort was well blocked following a brief goalmouth scramble.

Chairboys were continuing to look the more threatening and they took the lead on the half-hour. Portsmouth failed to properly clear a Scowen corner from the right and the midfielder crossed backed into the area, where the ball fell to Knott to rifle home right-footed via the underside of the crossbar. It was a fine strike from the 20-year-old, giving Carson no chance.

Both sides were restricted to half chances from then on and it looked as though the Wanderers would take the lead into the break. However, Agyemang had other ideas and stabbed home from close range in the 44th minute after Bradley had headed Ricky Holmes’ free-kick back across goal.

The rain continued to fall at the break with puddles forming on the pitch, which clearly stopped the roll of the ball as the subs were warming up, and in the end the rain had the final say.


Wanderers: Ingram, Arnold, Dunne, Hause, Stewart, Bloomfield, Lewis (c), Scowen, Knott, Cowan-Hall, Kuffour.
Subs: Horlock, McCoy, Doherty, Wood, Kretzschmar, Pittman, McClure.

Subs: Smith, Cooper, Mahon, Ferry, Padovani, Barcham, Bird.
Portsmouth: Carson; Moutaouakil, N'Gala, Bradley, Devera; Wallace, Ertl (c), Racon, Holmes; Agyemang, Marquis.

Advertisement block