Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stanley 1-1 Blues

2 November 2013

Anthony Stewart's third of the season looked to have given the Blues a deserved win until Peter Murphy struck three minutes into injury-time to deny Gareth Ainsworth's men.


Ainsworth made four changes with Marvin McCoy, Sam Wood, Dean Morgan and Matt McClure starting in place of Nick Arnold, Matt Bloomfield, Billy Knott and Jo Kuffour. Arnold and Knott did not make the trip because of injury. Sebastian Cann-Svard was named on the bench for the first time since signing late last month.


Both teams signalled their attacking intent early on and Josh Scowen fired wide in the fourth minute after being picked out in the area by Paris Cowan-Hall following a quick break down the right.

Wanderers had the wind in their favour in the first half with Stanley keeper Marcus Bettinelli struggling to even reach the halfway line.


 minute when McClure appeared to be brought down by Bettinelli after reacting quickest to Cowan-Hall’s initial effort, which was fumbled by the keeper.thBlues had a strong penalty appeal turned down in the 11


 minute after blocking off Kai Naismith and that caution took the midfielder to five cautions for the season and therefore a one-match ban.thScowen went into the book in the 20


 minute, but he could only fire over from inside the area after collecting Charles Dunne’s cross and turning neatly.ndMcClure should have done better in the 22


Bettinelli kept the scores level on the half hour when he superbly parried away Stuart Lewis’ fierce drive. Kortney Hause then eluded his marker from the resulting corner, but headed wide.


Chairboys were given a warning sign six minutes before the break when a rare Accrington attack saw James Gray head Nicky Hunt’s cross wide from six yards.


Matt Ingram was called into action for the first time in injury-time and he produced a fine save to parry away Naismith’s strike after the winger had cut in from the right.


Wanderers started the second half brightly and Morgan fired over the bar after the hosts were caught in possession on the edge of their area.


 minute when Morgan latched on to Cowan-Hall’s through ball and rounded the keeper, however, Blues’ top scorer could only find the side-netting from a tight angle.thBoth teams were starting to struggle with the ever-worsening condition, but Ainsworth’s men did create a promising chance in the 56


 minute when Stewart misjudged a long ball in the rain and Gray broke through on goal, however, Blues’ No.1 saved well low down to his right.thIngram came to the rescue in the 65


It was Stanley’s keeper who was called into action four minutes later and he produced a fine double stop to first deny McCoy and then McClure, who reacted quickly to the initial effort.


 minute when Stanley failed to deal with a Scowen corner and Stewart fired home at the far post from five yards for his third of the season.stThe deadlock was broken in the 71


Ingram did well to parry away Piero Mongoia’s left-footed strike 10 minutes from time, but it was still the Wanderers who were cresting the better chances and Hause was inches away from a second when he met Wood’s corner at the far post.


The hosts snatched a point in the third minute of injury-time when Kayode Odejayi flicked on George Bowerman’s cross and Murphy stabbed home from close-range.


Subs: Horlock, Doherty, Cann-Svard, Kuffour.
Wanderers: Ingram, McCoy, Dunne, Hause, Stewart, Cowan-Hall (Kretzschmar 81), Scowen, Lewis (c), Wood, Morgan (Pittman 89), McClure (Craig 85). 


Subs: Dunbavin, McCartan, Hatfield, Windass.
Accrington: Bettinelli, Hunt, Wilson (Liddle 82), Aldred, Winnard, Mingoia, Joyce (c), Murphy, Naismith, Webber (Odejayi 56), Gray (Bowerman). 


Attendance: 1,268 (156 Wycombe)

Advertisement block