Gareth Ainsworth hopes it’ll go to plan second time around when he takes his Wanderers side back to where it all began for him 15 months ago.
Wycombe lost 3-0 at Dagenham & Redbridge in Ainsworth’s first game in charge last September, and it goes without saying that the 40-year-old wants to leave Essex with better result this Saturday.
He told Chairboys Player: “I text my brother after the game last year and said, ‘that didn’t go to plan!’”
“I didn’t know whether I thought it was going to be easier than it was, but 3-0 really crashed us down to earth. It made me realise just how much hard work there was to do.
“A lot has changed and a different squad will be going. Dagenham are different too though. They’ve changed managers and Wayne Burnett has brought in a style of playing good football.
“We’re similar in some respects - we’re both considered to be at the bottom end of the budget table, while you’ve got clubs spending to try and get out of the division.
“Dagenham are over-achieving and doing very well. They are top 12 which is where I want Wycombe to be so it’ll be a good game and a good test for us.”
He added: “We’ve come a long way since last time – we’re a much better side and hopefully we can prove that this weekend. We’ll keep pushing, keep driving and try to convert some of these chances.”
Ainsworth stressed shooting practice was high on the agenda at training on Thursday and Friday after coming up short in front of goal against Chesterfield and Exeter City.
“It’s something I want to address,” he said. “You go to Chesterfield and create more chances and the same happened on Tuesday night. Maybe the boys have got a bit more time than they think.
“Stevie’s scored a goal with his chest but we can’t rely on that! I watched the video back and the way we played in the first half and the quality chances we created late on, we warranted the win.
“Hopefully we can turn these chances into goals and I believe there’s a good tally around the corner – hopefully Saturday!”
The Blues boss is hopeful that combative midfielder Josh Scowen will have recovered from a clash of heads in midweek to keep his place.
He said: “Joshy was a bit loss for us on Tuesday – we didn’t just miss the individual, we missed his impact on the team. We changed Josh on medical advice because he had a bang on the head.
“I think he’ll be ok but I would never take the risk with a players’ health, there’s bigger things than football. Josh is a very important player and he plays that role in front of the defence really well.
“He senses danger better than anyone I’ve known for a long time. He puts in fearsome tackles, wins his headers and has got a great range of passing.”