Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: Legends 2-4 South Bucks

4 May 2013

Dennis Greene and Craig Faulconbridge were on the scoresheet as Wycombe Legends were beaten 4-2 by a youthful South Bucks XI in an enjoyable encounter at Adams Park.

Mo Harkin curled just over the bar as the Legends started brightly, but South Bucks had a goal ruled out for offside in the seventh minute when they tapped home after Paul Hyde had made a smart stop.


Harkin brought a save from Ollie Brown after a fine break down the left involving Steve Guppy and Steve Brown, however, it was South Bucks who took the lead 10 minutes before the break when Aaron Couch’s cross from the right fell kindly to Bryan Taylor who drilled low past Hyde from 15 yards.


Hyde made a fine stop from Adam Harsman towards the end of the first half as the Legends went into the break a goal down.

Scott McGleish fired wide of Brown’s left-hand post after being released by Harkin soon after the restart before Keith Ryan was off target following neat play around the edge of the area.

However, South Bucks doubled their advantage in the 62nd minute when Taylor crossed low from the left and Lee Thompson tapped home.

It was 3-0 a minute when Harsman finished Aaron Couch’s cross at the near post.

McGleish was denied by a superb one-handed save by Brown soon after when he rifled goalwards from 12 yards and South Bucks broke up the other end and were awarded a penalty when Matt Crossley handled Couch’s shot.

However, Couch attempted to chip Hyde from the spot and Blues’ keeper nonchalantly parried away.

Couch then hit the post and Paul McCarthy did well to block Thompson’s rebound which would have made it four.

Keith Ryan was just unable to find Keith Scott who would have had a tap-in before Steve Brown saw a low effort saved.

The Legends piled on the pressure and Craig Faulconbridge saw a free-kick deflect on to the roof of the net and from the resulting corner his header was cleared off the line.

Scott then shot into the side-netting from McGleish’s clever lofted pass.

The Chairboys were awarded a penalty six minutes from time when Faulconbridge was brought down after collecting Guppy’s cross. Harkin saw his spot-kick saved by Brown, but Dennis Greene reacted quickest to head home the rebound as the Blues deservedly got on the scoresheet.

Harkin fired over the top with three minutes remaining, but it was South Bucks who added to their tally when Stuart McLellan converted from the spot after being fouled by Hyde.

Wanderers added a second injury-time when Faulconbridge rose highest to powerfully head home Guppy’s inch-prefect free-kick from the left.

Wanderers: Hyde, Crossley, Brown, Creaser (Wraight 31, Scott 68), McCarthy, Harkin, Stapleton (Heyrettin 37, Faulconbridge 56), Ryan (Guppy 80), Guppy (McGleish 31), Faulconbridge (Greene 46), Thompson.
Subs: Hayrettin, Wraight, Smith, Scott, Greene, McGleish.

South Bucks XI: O Brown, Parsons, Fox, Sethi, G Brown (c), Gumms, Couch, McLellan, Thompson, Hurst, Taylor.
Subs: Coyle, Harsman.

Attendance: 421

Advertisement block