Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Rochdale 4-1 Blues

9 March 2013

Stuart Lewis’ early goal proved in vain as a below-par Wanderers lost 4-1 at Rochdale.

 minute, but that was as good as things got as two efforts from George Donnelly, one from Ian Henderson and an own goal earned the home side a deserved three points.  thLewis gave the Blues the lead in the 16

Chairboys went into the game on the back of two successive victories and Gareth Ainsworth made one change to the side that beat Fleetwood last time out, replacing himself with the fit-again Joel Grant.

Marvin McCoy and Leon Johnson returned to the bench with Matt Spring and Kortney Hause missing out.

Rochdale started well and Stuart Lewis had to turn the ball away from his own line from Joe Thompson’s cross, before Archer made a final double save in the 10th minute to keep the scores level.

The on-loan Tottenham keeper got a fingertip to an initial effort before getting to his feet quickly and parrying away the rebound.

Archer had no chance two minutes later when Bobby Grant’s superb 25-yard free-kick curled over the wall and crashed against the underside of the bar. The ball then hit Archer and rolled along the line but not over it.

Wanderers took full advantage of that reprieve and took the lead in the 16thminute. The home side appealed for a foul by McClure in the build-up, but the ball felt to Lewis who coolly sidefooted home from eight yards.

Chairboys’ lead only lasted three minutes though as Henderson finished from close-range after Wycombe failed to clear a low free-kick.

Chances were few and far between after the equaliser and substitute George Donnelly’s strike which flew wide was the closest either side went in the next 15 minutes.

Dale felt they should have been awarded a penalty for handball five minutes before the break when Winfield blocked Bobby Grant’s shot, but their appeals were waved away.

Anthony Stewart produced a fine block to cut out a cross in first-half injury-time with Bobby Grant lurking in the area to tap home and Winfield then did well to block Andrew Tutte’s low shot as the hosts went into the interval in the ascendancy.

Dale took less than two minutes of the second half to take the lead when Tutte’s corner appeared to hit either Michael Harriman or Scowen after a lack of communication with Archer and went in. Wycombe were slow out of the traps and Lewis then had to clear Thompson’s cross-shot off the line as the home side went in search of a third.

Wanderers were saved by the woodwork for a second time in the 56th minute when they failed to react to a short corner and the ball was worked to Henderson who curled against the bar from 18 yards.

Ainsworth made a double change just past the hour mark with Jo Kuffour replacing McClure and Junior Morias on for Morgan.

Another short corner caused panic in the Wycombe area in the 63rd minute, but Rhys Bennett headed wide at the far post when he should have done better.

Grant and Kuffour were just unable to reach Morias’ superb cross from the right after the substitute cleverly turned past Kevin McIntyre.

Dale added a third 12 minutes from time when a quick counter attack from a Chairboys corner saw Henderson get to the ball before Lewis on halfway and break clear. The forward squared to Donnelly who made no mistake from six yards.

It was 4-1 with five minutes later when Donnelly added his second, heading Michael Rose’s deep cross past Archer and into the far corner.

Wycombe: Archer, Harriman, Dunne, Winfield (c), Stewart, Grant, Scowen, Lewis, Wood, Morgan (Morias 61), McClure (Kuffour 61).

Subs: Harrison, McCoy, Johnson, Oli, Andrade.

Rochdale: Lillis, Bennett, Edwards, Cansdell-Sherriff, McIntyre, Tutte, Kennedy, Thompson (Rose 78), Henderson, Grant, Gornell (Donnelly 15).

Subs: Collis, Rafferty, Cavanagh, Grimes, Haworth.

Attendance: 1,979

Advertisement block