Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: Bradford 1-0 Blues

19 March 2013

Garry Thompson’s early strike consigned the Blues to a 1-0 defeat at Valley Parade.

The hosts started brightly and Thompson gave them the lead in the seventh minute of a game bereft of goalscoring chances.

Chairboys lacked a creative spark and the hosts defence was never really troubled, despite Matt McClure’s second-half header that looped over the bar.

Gareth Ainsworth made one change to the Wanderers side with Gary Doherty starting for the first time since 3rd November after scoring in the 2-2 draw with Rotherham United last time out.Goalkeeper Matt Ingram, who was recalled earlier on in the day from a hugely successful loan spell at Oxford City, was on the bench.
e missed out with an ankle knock, but Dave Winfield and Matt McClure were both passed fit after coming off against the Millers.Bruno Andrad

The hosts started well and Blues had to scramble the ball off their own line within the opening 60 seconds following a deep corner.

Bradford continued to exert the early pressure and deservedly took the lead in the seventh minute. Kyel Reid’s free-kick was headed back across goal by James Hanson and Garry Thompson was on hand to poke home from close-range.

Wanderers almost responded immediately, but McClure was just unable to turn Dean Morgan’s cross goalwards thanks to some fine defending from Andrew Davies.

Hanson was having a big influence early on, but he mis-hit from the edge of the area, before knocking down for Zavon Hines to fire wide from just inside the box.

minute when Morgan turned away from his marker and drilled goalwards from 20 yards, but his strike was easy for Jon McLaughlin.thBlues’ first shot on target came in the 19

The Bantams were next to come close when a quick one-two released Reid down the left and his cross was flicked just wide by Thompson.

Morgan was heavily involved in all of the Chairboys’ good play in the first half and he turned his man to latch on to Scowen’s pass, before breaking down the right and crossing for Wood, whose header floated into McLaughlin’s hands.

Hanson continued his aerial dominance of the opening period five minutes before the break when he knocked down for Hines, who fired wide of Archer’s left-hand post.

The hosts were quick out of the traps in the second half as well and a quick break from a Wycombe free-kick saw Thompson lift the ball over Michael Harriman before shooting over from 18 yards.

minute after Morgan had tricked his way into the area and stood up a cross to the far post, but Blues’ top scorer got underneath the ball and headed over the bar from six yards.thMcClure should have done better in the 49

Hanson shot wide after collecting McLaughlin’s long goalkick, before a quick Chairboys break on the hour saw Morgan pick out Wood before eventually receiving it back from Lewis and firing wide from 20 yards.

minute, but an injury picked up by Ravenhill in a crunching challenge with Scowen disrupted the flow of the game and neither side threatened.thAinsworth introduced himself for Grant in the 65

Junior Morias came on for Morgan with 12 minutes remaining, but chances were still few and far between until Winfield eluded his marker and headed Wood’s in-swinging corner over the crossbar.

Doherty was pushed upfront as the Blues piled on the pressure late on, but they lacked a cutting edge and failed to test McLaughlin.

Wycombe: Archer, Harriman, Dunne, Winfield (c), Doherty, Grant (Ainsworth 66), Scowen, Lewis, Wood, Morgan, McClure (Morias 78).
Subs: Ingram, McCoy, Hause, Oli, Kuffour.

Subs: Duke, McHugh, Connell, Nelson.
Bradford: McLaughlin, Darby, Meredith, McArdle, Davies, Reid, Ravenhill (Doyle 73), Jones (c), Hines (Atkinson 73), Hanson, Thompson (Wells 86).

Advertisement block