Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blues 1-0 Fleetwood

2 March 2013

Anthony Stewart headed home his first professional goal in the 89th minute as the Blues secured a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Fleetwood.

Chances were far and few between in a tight game, but the Chairboys finished the match the stronger of sides and Stewart’s effort from Josh Scowen’s corner settled the contest.

Wanderers were unchanged from the side that finished Tuesday’s victory at Torquay with Gareth Ainsworth and Stewart in from the start. December.thIt was the first time that Ainsworth had selected himself from the start since the 1-0 win at Plymouth back on 29

Joel Grant missed out with an ankle injury, while Bruno Andrade, who also limped off against the Gulls, was amongst the substitutes. Sam Wood had the first chance of the game when he met Josh Scowen’s corner in the sixth minute, but the winger mis-hit with his left foot and the ball went harmlessly wide.

The majority of play in the opening 10 minutes was spent in midfield with Wanderers looking lively when they attacked with pace through the middle.

The game was then disrupted four minutes after Wood accidentally kicked the ball into the face of referee Roger East who required treatment. That break in play seemed to benefit the visitors who went on to enjoy their best spell of possession.

 minute when he tried his luck from full 25 yards after Anthony Barry had inexplicably passed straight to Blues’ player/manager from a free-kick.thAinsworth was denied by Fleetwood keeper Scott Davies in the 19

 minute with a fine save to deny Gareth Evans. The winger linked up well in midfield with a team-mate and burst through on goal, but Archer made himself big and parried Evans’ shot away from close range.thJordan Archer kept the scores level in the 35

However, it was almost 1-0 to the Wanderers two minutes later. Charles Dunne did excellently to win the ball just outside his own area before breaking forward and finding McClure wide left. The striker took a couple of chances before trying his luck from an acute angle and the ball looped over Davies, but drifted just wide of the far post.

Archer made another superb save four minutes before the break, this time diving full-length to his right to catch Junior Brown’s looping header after Jon Parkin had flicked on a deep free-kick.

Fleetwood substitute David Ball fired over the bar when well placed, before Ainsworth was substituted in first-half injury-time after picking up a knock.

Chairboys had been the better side early on, but the visitors came back into the game and went into the break looking the likelier to open the scoring.

Evans headed straight at Archer two minutes after the restart and Scowen then drilled wide from 20 yards after an attack involving McClure, Stuart Lewis and Morgan.

Wood headed over from close range with McClure maybe in a better position slightly behind the winger.

Anthony Stewart saw a header from Scowen’s corner deflected wide with 12 minutes remaining and Ainsworth brought on the returning Junior Morias for McClure four minutes later.

 minute when he hooked the ball goalwards, only for Parkin to head off the line. However, the centre-back had to wait less than 60 seconds for his professional goal as headed home Scowen’s resulting corner.thStewart thought he had given the Blues the lead in the 88

Morias was inches wide of a second after powering past his marker before sidefooting just past the post.

Parkin had the visitors’ final chance but Archer comfortably saved his header.

Wanderers: Archer, Harriman, Dunne, Winfield (c), Stewart, Ainsworth (Andrade 45), Scowen, Lewis, Wood, Morgan (Hause 90), McClure (Morias 82).Subs: Lucas, Pond, Atkinson, McLaughlin.
Fleetwood: Davies (c), Beeley, Howell, Goodall, Edwards, Barry, McKenna, Brown, Gillespie (Ball 42, Fontaine 85), Evans (Crowther 76), Parkin.
Subs: Harrison, Spring, Oli, Kuffour.

Attendace: 3,162 (74 Fleetwood)

Advertisement block