Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blues 2-2 AFC Wimbledon

12 January 2013

Substitute Matt McClure struck 18 minutes from time to earn the Wanderers a 2-2 draw at AFC Wimbledon.

Wycombe were the better side early on and take the lead through Jo Kuffour in the seventh minute. However, that goal sparked the hosts into life and they turned the game on its head with two efforts from Paul McCallum.

The Chairboys struggled at times, but the introduction of Bruno Andrade and McClure brought a spark and McClure made no mistake from 10 yards to secure a point.

Gareth Ainsworth named an unchanged starting line-up with Marvin McCoy and Matt McClure featuring  on the bench after recovering from illness and a groin injury respectively.

Former Wanderer Will Antwi lined up for the hosts.

Wycombe started well and Joel Grant tested Neil Sullivan in the fourth minute after cutting in from the right and firing left-footed from the edge of the area. The winger’s strike came at the end of a neat move involving Stuart Lewis, Michael Harriman and Dean Morgan.

Wanderers’ bright early play was rewarded in the seventh minute when Kuffour fired in his second goal in as many games. Morgan did brilliantly on the right to break forward from halfway before cutting the ball back to Kuffour. The striker got the ball out of his feet and fired across Neil Sullivan with his strike taking a deflection on the way in.

The hosts levelled in the 15th minute with their first effort on target as Paul McCallum fired home from no more than five yards after the Chairboys failed to deal with a corner.

Kuffour had a chance to restore the Blues’ lead moments after, but he scuffed his shot from inside the area after being put under pressure by a Wimbledon defender.

The crossbar came to Wycombe’s rescue in the 25th minute when McCallum flicked Jonathan Meades’ left-wing cross goalwards with the outside of his foot, only for it to crash back off the woodwork. Jordan Archer may have got a touch on the effort and if he did it was a fantastic stop.

The hosts were on top and should have added a second goal seven minutes from the break. Mis-communication between Kortney Hause and Archer allowed McCallum to get to the ball before the keeper, but he could only find the side-netting with the goal gaping.

It was 2-1 two minutes later when Stacy Long did well on the right and found McCallum who turned Winfield and found the left-hand corner of Archer’s net.

Grant sliced Scowen’s free-kick wide and then flashed a shot across goal as the Wanderers responded, but the hosts went into the break with a deserved lead.

Archer made a fine save five minutes after the restart, tipping a header over the bar from point-blank range as the home side started the second half as they had finished the first.

Ainsworth made two changes in the 66th minute bringing on Bruno Andrade and Matt McClure in place of Grant and Kuffour. The changes made an impact and the Chairboys enjoyed their best spell since taking the lead.

The improved display was rewarded in the 72nd minute when McClure lashed home his eighth of the season. Wimbledon failed to clear Morgan’s free-kick and McClure found the back of the net from 10 yards with a powerful low drive.

Toby Ajala was way off target from close-range 10 minutes from time and the winger should have done a lot better as he was in a fairly central position.

Wycombe: Archer, Harriman, Dunne, Winfield (c), Hause, Grant (Andrade 66), Scowen, Lewis, Wood, Morgan, Kuffour (McClure 66). 
Subs: Harrison, McCoy, Stewart, Spring, Ainsworth.

AFC Wimbledon: Sullivan, Osano (Hussey 46), Meades, Sweeney, Antwi, Mitchel-King (c), Ajala, Long, McCallum, Moore, Midson (Prior 88). 
Subs: Jaimez-Ruiz, Balkestein, Kiernan, Harrison, Fenlon.

Attendance: 4,507 (764 Wycombe)

Assistant manager Richard Dobson said:“We didn’t play well enough and we took our foot off the pedal. Sometimes when you score early you think it’s going to be a little bit easier than it actually is, but credit to Wimbledon they came back into the game, scored two goals and put us under pressure. 

“We weathered the storm for the first five minutes of the second half and fortunately got a goal back, but I still wasn’t comfortable in the three minutes of injury time.

“We didn’t do as well with our battling qualities - we’re normally first to every ball and we normally play good balls into decent areas and put people under pressure, but we didn’t do that with enough quality.  

It’s a mentality thing, sometimes you take the lead and you think the opposition are going to start falling on the back foot but they didn’t.”“

“The fans were terrific, that’s the reason why I’m doing the press. Gaz can’t speak from trying to shout over fans!  

“They were terrific but they always are. They’ve got behind us when we’ve been struggling and I think today opitimised their passion for the club. They didn’t stop singing and it was a great turn out. 

“I think, ultimately, they helped us get something out of the game. They were positive and I’d like to thank them for that.”

Advertisement block