Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blues 1-0 Morecambe

3 August 2013

Paris Cowan-Hall scored six minutes into his debut as the Wanderers kicked off the new season with a deserved 1-0 victory over Morecambe. 

Blues could have and perhaps should have won by more with Josh Scowen, Cowan-Hall and the impressive Dean Morgan all having chances as the Chairboys controlled proceedings from the off.

New signings Cowan-Hall and Jon-Paul Pittman were both named in the starting line-up with fellow recent recruits Charlie Horlock, Nick Arnold and Steven Craig amongst the substitutes.

Dean Morgan crashed an early free-kick over the bar after Andrew Wright had impeded Pittman, before Anthony Stewart headed inches off target from Sam Wood’s centre as the winger worked a neat short corner with Morgan.

 minute when Morgan worked some magic on the left before sending in an inch-perfect cross to the far post which Cowan-Hall clinically headed home. thBlues’ impressive start was rewarded in the 6

 minute, but it was still Gareth Ainsworth’s side who were on top and Morgan collected the ball on the right before jinking past one defender and forcing Barry Roche into a save from 20 yards. thMatt Ingram got down well to save Jack Sampson’s low drive in the 10

 minute when Scowen was played in on goal by Morgan following a fine passing move, but his shot was saved by Roche with Pittman lurking for a tap-in. thWanderers were denied a second in the 25

Wood then dragged wide after closing down Chris McCready’s clearance as the Chairboys continued to press high and give the visitors no time on the ball.

Wycombe continued to look a threat every time they broke forward with pace and Scowen released Pittman, who beat Andrew Wright, before crossing for Marvin McCoy to volley over.

Skipper Stuart Lewis saw a first-time effort parried away by Roche, but Morecambe had their best chance of the first half 10 minutes before the break when McCready crashed a header against the bar from a corner.

The visitors grew in confidence after that chance and Ingram did well to tip over Padraig Amond’s powerful strike after the striker had been found 20 yards out.

Blues could have added a second in injury-time when Wood won the ball back on halfway and released Cowan-Hall, but the winger’s shot was comfortably saved by Roche when he had other options as the Blues again broke at pace and in numbers.

Morgan flashed a low strike just wide of the far post five minutes after the restart after dispossessing a Morecambe defender in the area and the forward then forced Roche into a save low to his left.

Jack Sampson gave Wanderers a fright just past the hour mark when he fired inches wide, but Morgan quickly broke up the other end, only to be denied again by Roche.

A mistake from Roche saw Cowan-Hall try his luck from 25 yards, however, his shot was blocked and subsequently cleared by a defender.

Ingram produced a fine stop 15 minutes from time, diving full length to his left to tip away Sampson’s well-controlled first-time strike.

Max Kretzschmar and Arnold were introduced for their professional debuts with three minutes of normal time resuming and the former showed some neat touches as the Blues comfortably saw the game out.

Subs:Arestidou, Threlfall, Kenyon, McGee.
Morecambe: Roche, Wright, McCready, Diagne (Parrish 71), Hughes (c), Williams, Fleming, Drummond, Ellison (Mwasile 66), Sampson, Amond.

Subs: Horlock, Hause, Morias, Kuffour, Craig.
Wanderers: Ingram, McCoy, Dunne, Johnson, Stewart, Cowan-Hall (Arnold 87), Lewis (c), Scowen, Wood, Morgan (Kretzschmar 87), Pittman.

Attendance: 3,284

Advertisement block