Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: AFC Wimbledon 1-0 Wanderers

10 August 2013

Luke Moore’s first-half header consigned 10-man Wanderers to a 1-0 defeat at AFC Wimbledon.

Moore glanced in Callum Kennedy’s cross in the 37thminute to seal the points, just three minutes after Blues skipper Stuart Lewis was harshly sent off for a foul on George Porter.

Gareth Ainsworth named the same side that started the opening-day clash against Morecambe, which meant recalls for Leon Johnson, Paris Cowan-Hall, Sam Wood and Jon-Paul Pittman at the expense of Kortney Hause, Matt Spring, Jo Kuffour and Steven Craig.

The hosts settled the quicker of the sides and Matt Ingram had to be alert to parry away George Porter’s close-range strike in the seventh minute after a quick free-kick on the left.

Leon Johnson did superbly well to block Michael Smith’s goalbound effort before the Chairboys broke up the other end and Josh Scowen saw a speculative volley fly wide from 25 yards.

Wanderers grew into the half as it progressed and Dean Morgan had a penalty shout turned down just before the half-hour mark when he took a tumble in the area after flicking the ball over his marker.

The forward then fired over the bar from an acute angle after being picked just inside the area.

minute when they were reduced to 10 men as Stuart Lewis was shown a straight red card for a foul on Porter near the left touchline. It looked a harsh decision with many expecting referee Gavin Ward to brandish just a yellow.thChairboys’ task was made harder in the 34

Wimbledon didn’t take long to make the most of their numerical advantage as they took the lead three minutes later. Callum Kennedy found space on the left and his cross was headed into the far corner by Luke Moore.

Pittman was denied by Ross Worner’s legs two minutes before the break after a spell of one-touch passing saw Wood pick out the striker at the near post.

Matt Spring replaced Wood at the break and Wycombe started the half brightly with Morgan’s 25-yard drive forcing Worner into a save low to his left.

Despite enjoying more possession Ainsworth’s men struggled to break through an organised Wimbledon rearguard and Spring saw a strike from the edge of the area bravely blocked.

The midfielder, who saw a lot of the ball after being introduced, then released Pittman down the left channel, but the forward dragged his effort wide of the far post.

Ainsworth shuffled his pack with 20 minutes left, bringing on Steven Craig and Tuesday’s scorer Jo Kuffour in place of Morgan and Pittman.

The duo linked up well with six minutes remaining as Craig found Kuffour and his cross appeared to be handled in the area, but Wanderers’ penalty appeal were waved away for a second time.

Spring’s ambitious 30-yarder was saved by Worner but the hosts should have added a second in injury-time as the Chairboys pushed forward.

First Smith was denied by McCoy and then Ingram before substitute Chris Arthur curled a superb strike against the crossbar with Blues' keeper beaten.

Subs: Brown, S Moore, Fenlon, Weston.
AFC Wimbledon: Worner, Fuller, Kennedy, Sweeney, Frampton, Bennett, Smith, Midson (Sheringham 72), L Moore (Francomb 90), Pell, Porter (Arthur 81).
Subs: Horlock, Arnold, Hause, Kretzschmar.
 Wanderers: Ingram, McCoy, Dunne, Stewart, Johnson, Cowan-Hall, Scowen, Lewis (c), Wood (Spring 46), Morgan (Craig 71), Pittman (Kuffour 71).

Attendance: 4,235 (612 Wycombe)

Advertisement block