Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Morecambe 0-1 Blues

1 April 2013

Stuart Lewis’ low strike 10 minutes into the second half earned the Chairboys a fully-deserved 1-0 victory at a windswept Globe Arena.Wanderers created the better chances in the first half, but were indebted to the woodwork soon after the restart. 

However, Lewis’ strike following a Matt Spring free-kick gave them the lead which they never looked like relinquishing.

Gareth Ainsworth made three changes to the side with Dave Winfield replacing Leon Johnson in the heart of the defence, while Matt Spring and Charles Dunne came in for Matt McClure and Marvin McCoy. McClure missed out with a hamstring injury.

Matt Ingram continued in goal after making his professional debut against Accrington Stanley on Good Friday.

Wanderers started well and had the wind in their favour in the first half, which caused Morecambe keeper Andreas Arestidou a few problems with his kicking early on.

Ingram looked to have made a fine save to deny Kevin Ellison in the sixth minute, but the referee had already blown for a foul on Michael Harriman in the build-up.

The first shot on target came in the 12th minute when Jo Kuffour latched on to Sam Wood’s pass down the left, cut in and found Stuart Lewis who saw his 20-yard effort parried away by Arestidou.

Blues were having the chances in the first half and Spring’s low strike from the edge of the area was straight at Arestidou after Scowen had down well to win the ball and flick on to his fellow midfielder.

Morecambe’s Robbie Threlfall was forced to scramble Kuffour’s cut-back away from near his own goalline with Grant lurking at the far post after Lewis had burst forward from his own half.

The best chance of the first half fell to Kuffour nine minutes before the break. Spring curled in a free-kick from the left and the ball made its way to the far post where it hit the striker and went wide.

Skipper Winfield had the final chance of the opening 45 minutes, but his half-volley from Spring’s corner was deflected over. Ainsworth’s men were the better side in the first half and the hosts didn’t have a shot on target at Ingram’s goal.

Morecambe came out of the traps quickly in the second half and were within a coat of paint of taking the lead two minutes of the restart. Ryan Williams’ 20-yard strike caught everyone unaware and crashed back off the post where Jordan Burrow headed the rebound towards the top corner, only for Ingram to produce a fine stop and tip the ball on to the bar.

Chairboys took full advantage of that reprieve and took the lead in the 55th minute. Spring’s floated free-kick from just inside the Morecambe half caused havoc in the home side’s penalty area and the ball fell to Lewis who made no mistake, powerfully firing home from eight yards.

Grant fired at Arestidou two minutes later, before Ingram gathered Williams’ long-range free-kick at the second attempt with Jack Redshaw closing in.

Spring was heavily involved in the majority of Wycombe’s best play and his inch-perfect crossfield pass picked out Grant, who’s dangerous was only just cleared. From the resulting Spring corner, Winfield hooked the ball back across goal, but Arestidou saved.

Wanderers defended superbly to protect the lead with Winfield and Doherty winning everything in the air. The home side’s most promising opportunities came from set-pieces, but despite late pressure the Blues were never really threatened.

Wycombe: Ingram, Harriman, Dunne, Winfield (c), Doherty, Scowen, Spring, Lewis, Wood, Kuffour, Grant.

Subs: Harrison, McCoy, Johnson, Ainsworth, Andrade, Oli, Morias.

Morecambe: Arestidou, Wright, Threlfall, , McCready, Haining (c), Williams, Fleming, Drummond, Ellison, Redshaw, Burrow (Alessandra 69).

Subs: Roche, Alessandra, McDonald, McGee, Mwasile, Parrish, Holroyd.

Attendance: 1,702 (158 Wycombe)

Advertisement block