Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: Wycombe 1-1 Cheltenham

8 September 2012

An early own goal from Keith Lowe gave Wanderers the perfect start at Adams Park, but Cheltenham hit back through Shaun Harrad’s penalty to claim a deserved share of the spoils.

Wycombe took the lead in the third minute when Joel Grant broke down the right and delivered a low cross into the area which Cheltenham’s Keith Lowe diverted into his own goal. 

The goal owed much to the pace of Grant, but Lowe’s attempted clearance, under little pressure, was dreadful and gave keeper Scott Brown no chance 

Cheltenham responded well with Jermaine McGlashan in particular looking lively down the right and they came close in the 13th minute when Sam Deering’s 10-yard strike drifted just wide. Kaid Mohamed then fired straight at Bull after Darren Carter’s initial shot had been blocked.

Dennis Oli had to be stretchered off midway through the first half and that break in play disrupted the flow of the game. 

McGlashan had a long-range effort comfortably tipped over by Bull and Carter fired straight at the keeper, before the visitors levelled in the 38th minute. Stuart Lewis was adjudged to have tripped Marlon Pack in the area and Shaun Harrad made no mistake from the spot, blasting past Bull. 

Cheltenham started the second half brightly, but it was Wycombe that had the first effort on goal when Grant turned Gareth Ainsworth’s cross goalwards. Kuffour then fired over the bar from distance. 

Chances were few and far between after the break and Pack fired high and wide from long-range.

Richard Logan was inches away from giving Wycombe the lead 14 minutes from time, but Sido Jombati just beat the striker to Ainsworth’s inviting cross at the far post. 

Grant had an effort deflected over and Gary Doherty saw a header diverted wide as the Blues pushed for a late winner, but Cheltenham also came close with Bull having to deny Pack. 

It was the visitors that had the best chance to secure the points five minutes from time when Leon Johnson misjudged a long ball and Bull had to be at his best to keep out Jeff Goulding’s low shot down to his left. 

Goulding fired high over the bar late in injury-time and that was the final chance.

Wycombe: Bull, Dunne, Parsons, Doherty (c), Johnson, Lewis, Spring (Ainsworth 40), Kewley-Graham, Grant, Kuffour, Oli (Logan 21). 
Subs not used: Ingram, Foster, Basey, Winfield, Angol. 

Subs not used: Roberts, Hooman, Penn, Andrew.
Cheltenham: Brown, Lowe, Jones, Jombati, Elliott, McGlashan (Zebroski 68), Carter, Pack (c), Mohamed, Deering (Goulding 74), Harrard (Duffy 78).

Advertisement block