Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Exeter City 3-2 Blues

18 September 2012

Wanderers twice took the lead at St James Park, but the hosts hit back through Arron Davies, Jamie Cureton and Danny Coles to take all three points.
Gary Waddock made five changes to the side that started at Chesterfield with Elliot Parish, Danny Foster, Dave Winfield, Gareth Ainsworth and Richard Logan the men to come in.

Goals from Gareth Ainsworth and Dean Morgan were not enough for the Blues as they lost 3-2 at Exeter City, despite creating a number of clear chances. Wanderers started brightly and took the lead in the fourth minute. Matt Oakley slipped over in midfield and Joel Grant took advantage to surge forward, before playing a one-two with Logan. Grant then found Ainsworth on the right and his 18-yard strike took a deflection off former Chairboy Craig Woodman and flew in.
The roles were almost reversed a minute later when Ainsworth produced a pin-point cross and Grant’s header beat Exeter keeper Artur Krysiak, but was cleared off the line. 

Gary Doherty had to be alert to head an effort of his own line as the hosts responded well and Jimmy Keohane then rifled an effort straight at Parish from just outside the area.

Livewire striker Jamie Cureton did well to pull away from Doherty in the 23rdminute and he angled his header perfectly past Parish, but the goal was correctly ruled out as he was a yard offside. 

Grant was inches away from doubling the lead in the 26thminute when he latched on to Dean Morgan’s perfect defence-splitting pass and fired across the keeper and just past the post. 

Exeter took full advantage of their reprieve and levelled two minutes later. Arron Davies received Keohane’s pass on the Exeter left and he cut inside Foster before firing low past Parish from 10 yards. The ball may have taken a slight deflection off Doherty before going past Parish, but it was too easy for Davies to get his shot away.

Scott Bennett fired high over the bar in the 36th minute and Spring did likewise a minute later at the other end.

Both teams were guilty of squandering possession too often in the first half and the Blues struggled at times to push forward in support of Logan, who was playing well against his former side. However, despite seeing less of the ball than their opponents, the Chairboys had created by far the better chances.

Wanderers started the second half brightly and retook the lead in the 52ndminute when Grant bamboozled the defence on the left, beat two men and sent a perfectly-flighted cross into the area for Morgan to plant a looping header into the top corner. 

However, the hosts were level again within two minutes when Wycombe failed to clear their lines and Cureton turned inside the area before smashing the ball past Parish, who had no chance. 

Exeter went ahead for the first time in the 67th minute when the Blues failed to deal with a corner and Keohane headed back across goal for centre-back Danny Coles, who back-heeled into the far corner from five yards. It was a fine finish from the skipper, but he shouldn’t have been afforded the space to shoot. 

Matt Parsons had an angled drive from the edge of the area well parried away by Krysiak as Wycombe responded well to going behind. However, the more the hosts retreated the harder it became for the Blues to create chances in a crowded penalty area.

That meant the visitors were forced to try their luck from distance and Spring was just off target from 25 yards.

That proved the final chance as Exeter were excellent in closing the game out.

Advertisement block