Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wanderers 2-1 Torquay

6 October 2012

Josh Scowen headed in his first Wycombe goal to earn the Blues a well-deserved victory over Torquay. 

Gary Doherty headed in Gareth Ainsworth's cross to give the Wanderers the lead, but the visitors levelled before the break through Rene Howe.  

However, the impressive Scowen had the final say, converting Dean Morgan's cross to earn the three points.

Caretaker boss Gareth Ainsworth named an unchanged side with Tuesday's goalscorer Matt McClure fit following a slight hamstring strain.

Jo Kuffour tired his luck from fully 40 yards but it was a comfortable save for Michael Poke. Gary Doherty then sent a header just wide from Josh Scowen’s free-kick as the Blues started well.

McClure had his first sight of goal in the ninth minute, but his 20-yard effort was always rising and flew over the bar.

Billy Bodin had the visitors first shot and it came in the 19th minute, but his left-footed strike went harmlessly wide of Jordan Archer’s post. However, he went a lot closer two minutes later from 10 yards, but again the ball drifted wide.

Wanderers were the better side and a neat exchange down the left saw the ball fall to McClure on the edge of the area and his half-volley dipped just too late and went inches over the bar.

Kuffour then drove forward from halfway and as the Torquay defence backed off space open for the striker, but he fired straight at Poke from the edge of the area.

Wycombe’s first-half play got the goal it deserved in the 32nd minute. Torquay failed to clear Scowen’s corner, Ainsworth hooked the ball back into the area with the outside of his right foot and skipper Gary Doherty rose highest to head past Poke and into the far corner.

The visitors hit back and levelled three minutes before the break when top scorer Rene Howe collected the ball on the right-hand side of the area, cut inside Dunne and slammed the ball under Archer at his near post.

Chairboys thought they should have been awarded a penalty a minute before the break but referee Darren Drysdale waved away the Blues’ protests after Aaron Downes speared to handle under pressure from Doherty.

The lively Kuffour tested Poke early on in the second half before substitute Dean Morgan’s left-footed strike was deflected inches wide of the far post with Poke well beaten. Kuffour then had another strike deflected just over as the Blues piled on the pressure at the start of the second period.

Blues’ dominance was rewarded in the 62nd minute when Morgan did well to turn away from his marker on the byline and flighted a perfect cross for Scowen to head home his first Wycombe goal from close range.

Torquay responded and Ryan Jarvis’ long-ranger forced Archer into a superb flying save to his left.

Wanderers could have wrapped up the points nine minutes from time as they worked a two-on-one situation, but Spring’s intended cut-back for an unmarked Morgan was held on to by Poke.

Torquay pushed forward in search of a dramatic equaliser and caused a few nervous moments in the box, but Ainsworth’s men held firm and secured a well-deserved first win at Adams Park this season.

Wycombe: Archer, Foster, Dunne, Johnson, Doherty (c), Ainsworth (Morias 69), Lewis (Spring 56), Scowen, Grant, McClure (Morgan 46), Kuffour. 

Subs: Harrison, Winfield, Stewart, Taylor.

Subs: Rice, Mackenzie, Cruise, Lathrope.
Torquay: Poke, Oastler, Nicholson, Saah, Downes, Nicholson, Macklin (Thompson 75), Mansell, Craig, Bodin (Yeoman 83), Jarvis (Stevens 68), Howe.

Attendance: 4205

Advertisement block