Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 02/10/2012

2 October 2012

The striker headed in Gareth Ainsworth’s pin-point cross to give the Wanderers lead in the 12thminute, but the visitors hit back through Guy Madjo early in the second half to earn a point.

Blues’ performance was a vast improvement on recent weeks with goalscorer McClure and 19-year-old Josh Scowen both impressing and the Chairboys showed desire, passion and commitment throughout with the loud backing of the home support urging them forward.

Ainsworth made three changes to the starting line-up, including recalling himself to the side for his first home game in caretaker charge.

Joel Grant was also back in the team after recovering from a hamstring strain, while McClure started after a lively second-half cameo at Dagenham & Redbridge last Saturday.

McClure dragged Wycombe’s first effort wide after seven minutes following good work from Grant down the left.

Argyle responded well and Alex MacDonald showed neat skill to turn away from Leon Johnson and Charles Dunne on the edge of the area, but his low strike went well wide.

Chairboys took the lead in the 12thminute and it owed much to the caretaker manager. Ainsworth received the ball on the right, beat one man and stood up a perfect cross for McClure, who rose highest to plant an unstoppable header into the back of the net from eight yards.

MacDonald had another effort soon after, but Leon Johnson bravely headed his powerful strike away for a corner before High Wycombe-born Ross Jenkins went close from the edge of the area.

Ainsworth delivered a number of dangerous crosses in the first half, but too often Wanderers didn’t have enough men in the box to take advantage.

Robbie Williams’ long-ranger cleared the crossbar after 32 minutes, but the hosts came much closer two minutes later when Leon Johnson stabbed just wide from close range.

The Plymouth goal lived a charmed life in the 36thminute as first Kuffour had a strike blocked and then Stuart Lewis was denied initially by a fine save from Jake Cole, before half-volleying the rebound inches wide.

Onismor Bhasera had the visitors’ best chance of the half in the 41stminute, but he headed MacDonald’s cross wide when well-placed after Gary Doherty had blocked Guy Madjo’s shot.

Wycombe started the second half brightly and Kuffour came close from six yards after collecting Dunne’s driven cross and turning his marker. McClure was then just unable to turn in from four yards after Dunne’s low strike had been fumbled by Cole.

However, Plymouth took full advantage of their reprieve in the 50thminute when Madjo planted a fine header past Archer and into the bottom left corner from MacDonald’s right-wing cross. MacDonald almost gave the Pilgrims the lead a minute later, but his powerful shot went wide of the post.

Argyle enjoyed their best spell of the game of the next 10 minutes, but it was Wycombe who came closest on the hour when Cole did superbly well to keep out Gary Doherty’s header from point-blank range after Scowen’s inswinging corner.

The visitors saw plenty of the ball without testing Archer and Kuffour could only fire straight at Cole after a defensive header fell kindly for him on the edge of the area.

Neither side created too much despite pushing forward in search of a winner and Ainsworth threw on Junior Morias with six minutes remaining for his first appearance at Adams Park.

Wanderers came so close to an injury-time winner but Cole somehow tipped Grant’s left-footed effort over the bar after Dean Morgan’s initial shot had been blocked Curtis Nelson.

Conor Hourihane was even closer seconds later but his 25-yard piledriver crashed back off the bar and Archer claimed the rebound.

Wycombe: Archer, Foster, Dunne, Johnson, Doherty (c), Ainsworth (Spring 77), Scowen, Lewis, Grant, McClure (Morgan 75), Kuffour (Morias 84).  Subs: Harrison, Winfield, Stewart, Morias, Taylor.

Plymouth: Cole, Nelson, Williams, Blanchard, Purse (c), MacDonald, Hourihane, Jenkins, Bhasera (Chadwick 83), Madjo (Griffiths 80), Feeney (Cowan-Hall 63).  
Subs: Gilmartin, Young, Lennox, Gurrieri.

Attendance: 3161 (494 Plymouth fans)

Advertisement block