Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Crewe 4-1 Blues

3 November 2012

Wanderers’ involvement in the FA Cup was ended at the first-round stage as League 1 Crewe Alexandra ran out comfortable 4-1 winners.

Wycombe took the lead through Matt Spring, but the hosts hit back through Mathias Pogba, Mark Ellis, Chuks Aneke and Luke Murphy. 

It could have been even worse if not for a series of fine saves from Jordan Archer, including a superb penalty stop from Harry Davis.

Gareth Ainsworth made four changes to the side that started against Oxford. The major change was Jordan Archer replacing Nikki Bull, who had expressed a desire to not play for the club again. Junior Morias was in for his first professional start, while Matt
Spring and Bruno Andrade came in for the injured Stuart Lewis and Matt McClure.

The hosts started well and Archer was called into the action for the first time in the fourth minute when a neat passing move created space for Michael West in the area, but Blues’ keeper saved low to his left.

Wycombe’s injury concerns got even worse after eight minutes when skipper Gary Doherty took a blow and had to limp off to be replaced by Richard Logan. That meant that Anthony Stewart reverted to centre-back with Charles Dunne moving to right-back and Sam Wood to the left side of defence.

The enforced didn’t seem to affect the Wanderers as they took the lead in the 13th minute courtesy of a goalkeeping howler. Matt Spring’s speculative 20-yard strike was missed by Alan Martin and the ball nestled into the back of the net. It was almost 2-0 a minute later, but Logan was just unable to turn home after great work from Andrade on the right.

Crewe levelled in the 20th minute when Moore beat Dunne on the Wycombe right, cut in and found Pogba who tapped in from close-range.

Andrade was looking lively and forced Martin into another save in the 26thminute when he easily cut inside Matt Tootle and fired left-footed from just inside the area.

The hosts took the lead six minutes before the break when Crewe skipper Mark Ellis smashed in from close-range after Wanderers failed to deal with a cross. However, there were appeals from Wycombe as Scowen looked to have been fouled by Ellis. It could have been 3-1 a minute later, but Archer did superbly well to deny Moore.

Crewe’s second goal came when the Blues were down to 10 men with Stewart off the field with injury and he was unable to continue so 17-year-old Kortney Hause came on for his professional debut.

Archer was called into action again five minutes after the break, saving from Aneke after Spring had lost the ball in a dangerous area. The on-loan Tottenham keeper kept the Blues in the game two minutes later, superbly diving to his right to keep out Harry Davis’ penalty after Winfield had brought down Pogba.

It was 3-1 in the 62nd minute when the impressive Aneke crashed home from 20 yards after the referee played a good advantage following a foul by Scowen. It was a fine strike from the Arsenal loanee, giving Archer no chance.

Ellis should have added his second of the game, but he somehow fired over from point-blank range in the 70th minute. Archer then made another superb save, tipping Matt Tootle’s curling strike around the post.

Crewe skipper Luke Murphy crashed home his side’s fourth and it was the pick of the bunch as he fired into the top corner from fully 30 yards.

Pogba and Kelvin Mellor both wasted good chances to add a fifth for Crewe as the Wanderers struggled to cope with the home side’s quick breaks.

Wycombe: Archer, Stewart (Hause 41), Dunne, Doherty (c) (Logan 9), Winfield, Spring, Scowen, Wood, Andrade, Grant, Morias (Kewley-Graham 57). 
Subs: Harrison, Kewley-Graham, Ainsworth, Oli, Taylor.

Crewe:  Martin, Mellor, Tootle, Davis, Ellis, West (Daniels 65), Murphy (c), Osman (Turton 72), Moore, Aneke (Robertson 82), Pogba.
Subs: Philips, Dugdale, Turton, Robertson, Guthrie, Ray, Daniels.
Attendance: 2417 (143 Wycombe)

Advertisement block