Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: Luton Town 0-0 Blues

25 July 2012

Wanderers maintained their unbeaten start to pre-season with a 0-0 draw at Blue Square Premier promotion-hopefuls Luton Town.

Wycombe were the better side early on at Kenilworth Road, but failed to build on a promising start and were forced to defend for large periods. 

Beavon crashed a long-range shot just over the bar with 10 minutes remaining and Logan headed straight at Tyler, but the Wanderers didn’t create enough clear-cut chances. 

Nikki Bull saved well with his feet to deny Dan Walker before producing an even better stop seconds later, diving to his right to palm away Charlie Smith’s powerful effort. 

Luton had a let off midway through the second half when Lathaniel Rowe-Turner diverted Beavon’s dangerous cross towards his own goal, but luckily for him it was close enough to a diving Tyler. 

Waddock made four changes just before the hour and immediately the Blues came back into the contest with Richard Logan adding more presence up front. 

The hosts continued to press after the restart and Gray again headed wide when well placed. 

Jake Howells also came close with a rising drive as the Hatters finished the half strongly. 

Luton should have gone ahead three minutes later when Andre Gray met Scott Rendell’s cross five yards out, only for the striker to somehow head wide. 

 minute after his header from Wood’s teasing cross drifted just the wrong side of the post.  rd Stuart Beavon was inches wide from giving the Chairboys the lead in the 33

Sam Wood, who produced another energetic and fully-committed display on the left, tested Tyler a minute later, but Luton’s keeper comfortably saved low to his right. 

It took the home side 28 minutes to half their first effort and it wasn’t worth the wait as Greg Taylor blazed well over the bar. 

Former Luton man Doherty and Dunne both had headers cleared off the line as the hosts failed to clear their lines before the former fired a third attempt wide of Mark Tyler’s goal. 

Blues started well and almost took the lead in the fourth minute through Matt Bloomfield, but the midfielder’s left-footed 20-yard effort hit the bar and went behind. 

Marvin McCoy was named in the team for the first time this pre-season after overcoming a groin injury and he lined up in defence alongside skipper Gary Doherty, Anthony Stewart and Charles Dunne. 

Attendance: 1,619

Subs: Brill, Beckwith, Maguraushe. 
Luton: Tyler, Taylor (Robinson 68), Howells, Henry (c) (Kovacs 46), Rowe-Turner, Kasim, Watkins (Lawless 46), O’Donnell (Walker 75), Gray (Smith 75), Rendell (Ann 89), Fleetwood (Woolley 75). 

Subs: Ingram, Hause. 
Wycombe: Bull, McCoy (Johnson 58), Dunne (Basey 58), Stewart, Doherty, Oli (Angol 77), Spring, Bloomfield, Wood (Lewis 58), Grant (Logan 58), Beavon.   

Advertisement block