Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: Yeovil 2-0 Blues

4 December 2012

Ten-man Wanderers’ Johnstone’s Paint Trophy hopes were ended at the quarter-final stage after a 2-0 defeat to League 1 Yeovil Town.

minute for a challenge on Gavin Williams and the Chairboys found themselves 2-0 down at the break thanks to efforts from Ed Upson and Sam Foley. thWycombe midfielder Matt Spring was shown a straight red card in the 28

Chairboys were second best in the first half, but were much improved after the break and Matt McClure crashed a shot against the bar as they looked for a way back into the contest.

Marvin McCoy returned to the Wycombe line-up for the first time since fracturing a fibula and damaging ankle ligaments in the Capital One Cup game at Watford back in early August. Matt Spring, Jesse Kewley-Graham, Ade Azeez and Junior Morias also started, while Yeovil had former Wanderers loanee Marek Stech in goal and Reuben Reid amongst their substitutes.

Yeovil created the first clear chance in the 10th minute when Byron Webster eluded the Wycombe defence, but headed wide from six yards following Gavin Williams’ free-kick on the left.

Ed Upson then beat Kewley-Graham in the centre of the pitch before firing at goal from 25 yards, but it was straight at Jordan Archer. Hayter then glanced a header over from eight yards from Joe Edwards’ dangerous cross.

Yeovil were seeing the majority of the ball and were stretching the Chairboys well with Edwards and Luke Ayling down the right having plenty of joy.

McCoy had Wycombe’s first shot in the 21st minute but his 25-yard strike flew well over before Morias cut in from the left and drilled just wide from 18 yards.

Azeez’s evening lasted just 25 minutes as he pulled up with what looked like a hamstring injury and was replaced by Matt McClure. Wanderers’ task got even harder three minutes later when Spring was shown a straight red card for a challenge on Williams. It looked harsh on first viewing but his studs were slightly raised and Gavin Ward had no hesitation in brandishing a red.

It was 1-0 four minutes later when Upson, who scored the winner on Wycombe’s last visit to Huish Park, headed home Smith’s cross from six yards. It was poor marking from the Blues as the midfielder ghosted in completely unmarked.

Upson fired another shot wide before Williams blazed the wrong side of the post from the edge of the area. Daniel Burn then headed Williams’ corner wide when he should have scored as the hosts went in search of a second goal just before the break.
That second came in the 44th minute when a deep cross was headed back across goal by Edwards and Foley crashed home from little more than five yards.

The hosts started the second half as they had finished the first and Reid crashed an effort into the side-netting from close-range after the Chairboys failed to clear their lines. Archer then gathered Jamie McAllister’s shot at the second attempt as the left-back tried his luck on the hour mark.

Blues’ best chance fell to Morgan in the 61st minute and he was denied by a fantastic save by Stech low down to his left and McClure had done well to break down the right and cut-back to his strike partner on the edge of the area. Morgan couldn’t have done much more with his first-time shot and it looked destined for the bottom corner.

Wanderers felt they should have been awarded a penalty in the 67th minute when Andrade appeared to be hauled down when clean through in the area. It was a great run by the winger who received the ball on halfway from Wood and drove forward, before being forced over when about to pull the trigger.

Morgan led a quick break 15 minutes from time, but he picked the wrong option and went himself when it was a three-on-three opportunity. James Hayter almost added a third three minutes later, but he headed Keanu Marsh-Brown’s cross wide from four yards.

McClure was inches away from handing the Blues a lifeline six minutes from time, but his strike cannoned back off the bar. It was great work from Andrade on the right and he cut back for McClure who worked the ball on to his left-foot before beating Stech, but not the woodwork.

It was a much better second-half display from the Wanderers and one that Gareth Ainsworth will take plenty of encouragement from. However, the damage was done in the first half and Yeovil progressed.

Wycombe: Archer, McCoy, Wood (Ehui 78), Dunne, Winfield (c), Morias (Hause 46), Spring, Kewley-Graham, Andrade, Morgan, Azeez (McClure 25).
Subs: Ainsworth, Kuffour.

Yeovil: Stech, Ayling (Marsh-Brown 71), McAllister (c), Webster, Burn, Edwards, Upson, Smith (Reid 46), Foley, Hayter, Williams.
Subs: Hinds, Stewart, Ugwu.

Attendance: 1,771 (94 Wycombe)

Advertisement block