Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: Cheltenham 4-0 Blues

26 December 2012

Goals from Jake Taylor, Jeff Goulding, Darryl Duffy and Jermaine McGlashan consigned second-best Wycombe to a 4-0 defeat at high-flying Cheltenham.

Gareth Ainsworth made two changes to the side that started the 2-0 victory at Acrrington Stanley with Dennis Oli and Jo Kuffour replacing the injured Dean Morgan and suspended Matt McClure.

Wanderers started well with Charles Dunne heading Josh Scowen’s wide in the third minute after finding space at the far post.

Jo Kuffour then had the ball in the net, but referee Steven Rushton had already blown up for a foul in the build up.

Jake Taylor wasted a glorious chance to give the hosts the lead in the 11th minute when Russell Penn won a 50/50 challenge with Dunne in midfield and the ball fell to Taylor who shot from inside the area instead of passing and Archer made a good save.

Both sides struggled to create too many chances in the difficult conditions but it was the hosts who took the lead in the 28th minute. Wood acrobatically cleared a cross, but the ball was headed wide to Taylor who crashed home an unstoppable strike into the top corner.

It was 2-0 four minutes later when the impressive Sido Jombati crossed from the right and Jeff Goulding headed past Archer and into the far corner.

Archer kept the Blues in the game four minutes before the break after Darryl Duffy latched on to a ball down the right, cut inside and fired an effort towards the near post.

Wanderers were second best in the first half and Cheltenham were first to the vast majority of second balls.

Wycombe came out after the break with more urgency with Gareth Ainsworth looking the likeliest to create something, but it was Cheltenham who had the next chance five minutes after the restart.

It was Jermaine McGlashan who called Archer into action again, but the on-loan Tottenham keeper was perfectly positioned to save after the winger had dribbled past Wood.

Cheltenham added a third in the 55th minute when Duffy headed expertly past Archer. It was a fine break from the hosts as Goulding found Taylor on the left and his cross was inch-perfect.

Archer made a superb save soon after when Taylor cut inside Marvin McCoy and fired goalwards from 20 yards, but Archer dived full length to his left to make the stop. The keeper arguably made an even better save two minutes later, tipping over Darren Carter’s exquisite volley from a Taylor corner.

The hosts added a fourth in the 69th minute when Carter was given too much time inside the area and he picked out McGlashan who tapped in from no more than two yards.

Wanderers came close to a consolation goal two minutes later as Georges Ehui’s free-kick caused panic in the Cheltenham area, but the hosts eventually cleared after blocking efforts from Kuffour and Anthony Stewart.

Carter was inches away with another volley after Wycombe failed to clear their lines and the midfielder later saw an effort deflect off Stuart Lewis and narrowly over.

Kuffour headed Ainsworth’s cross wide at the near post five minutes from time after a quick break from Wood, but that was the best chance the Chairboys could muster and Lawson D’Ath came close to adding a fifth.

Bruno Andrade shot straight at Scott Brown after beating his marker and Junior Morias then curled wide with Brown scrambling across his line to reach his effort.

Wycombe: Archer, McCoy, Wood, Dunne (Stewart 46), Hause, Ainsworth, Lewis, Scowen (Ehui 46), Andrade, Oli (Morias 64), Kuffour.
Subs: Harrison,  Kretzschmar, Angol, Ighorae.

Cheltenham: Brown, Jombati (Lowe 61), Jones, Bennett (c), Elliott, McGlashan (Mohamed 76), Carter, Penn (D’Ath 70), Taylor, Goulding, Duffy.
Subs: Roberts, Pack, Harrad, Zebroski.

Attendance: 3,501 (506 Wycombe)

Advertisement block