Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: Blues 2-2 Morecambe

8 December 2012

A fine brace from Dean Morgan was not enough for all three points as 10-man Wycombe were denied late on by Morecambe.

Morgan fired the Blues ahead in the 22ndminute, but Joel Grant saw a straight red five minutes before the break for a foul on Andrew Wright.

Man-of-the-match Morgan scored a stunning second five minutes after the break, but Morecambe came back into the contest and Richard Brodie reduced the deficit in the 58th minute.

Wanderers looked to have held on for a deserved victory, but substitute Jack Redshaw headed home in the 89th minute to secure a share of the spoils.

Chairboys were almost gifted an opening goal in the first minute when Morecambe goalkeeper Barry Roche crashed a goalkick against Dean Morgan but the rebounded just wide.

Wycombe were even closer in the eighth minute when Matt McClure slipped Stuart Lewis through on goal and his strike rebounded back off the post, before Roche saved the midfielder’s follow up.

Top scorer Joel Grant then somehow poked wide from five yards after Morecambe failed to clear an Andrade cross from the right. The visitors were at sixes and sevens at the back early on and the Chairboys looked like scoring with every attack.

The pressure finally told in the 22nd minute when Morecambe’s Andrew Wright inadvertently flicked on a long clearance putting Morgan through on goal and the forward made no mistake, firing home via the post for his fourth of the season.

Grant forced Roche into a save six minutes later when Winfield won the ball in midfield and it broke to the winger who cut in from the left and shot right-footed. Morgan then cleared the bar from 20 yards after turning past two defenders.

Wanderers were reduced to 10 men in the 40th minute when Grant was shown a straight red card for a challenge on Wright. The forward went in hard on the full-back, but the sending off looked harsh and a number of Morecambe players immediately surrounded Andy D’Urso.

Morecambe went more attacking at the start of the second half, but it was the Blues who struck next in the 50th minute and it was a goal of some quality. Great play from Lewis in midfield saw Morgan receive the ball just inside the Morecambe half and he burst past one Morecambe before holding off another and calmly slotting inside substitute keeper Andreas Arestidou’s near post from eight yards.

Archer made a fine save at his near post to keep out Gary McDonald’s angled drive in the 57th minute, but Brodie headed in the resulting corner to hand the visitors a lifeline.

The visitors were creating more in the second period and Ellison’s first-time strike hit the outside of Archer’s post and rebounded to safety before Brodie had an effort ruled out for offside.

Archer kept Wycombe’s lead intact in the 76th minute when he got fingertips on Jack Redshaw’s left-footed strike which was destined for the far corner.

Blues almost added a third two minutes from time when Scowen won the ball in midfield and found Morgan who in turn fed Andrade. The winger broke forward and shot from just inside the area, but Arestidou was equal to it.

The equaliser came a minute later when Nick Fenton headed a corner back across goal and Redshaw headed in from close-range.

There was controversy in injury-time when Scowen was clearly fouled on the edge of the area and the ball fell to Andrade who tapped home. However, for some reason D’Urso blow up for offside despite there being no advantage.

Wycombe: Archer, Dunne, Wood, Hause, Winfield (c), Grant, Lewis, Scowen, Andrade, Morgan (Kewley-Graham 90), McClure (McCoy 79). 

Subs: Harrison, Ehui, Ainsworth, Morias, Oli.

Morecambe: Roche (Arestidou 46), Fenton, Haining (c) (Alessandra 55),, McCready, Reid (Redshaw 71), Mustoe, Drummond, Wright, McDonald, Ellison, Brodie. 
Subs: Threlfall, Parkinson, McGee, Doyle.

Attendance: 3,238 (56 Morecambe)

Advertisement block