Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blues 2-0 Rovers

1 December 2012

Player/manager Gareth Ainsworth got his name on the scoresheet as the Chairboys secured a deserved third successive victory.

 minute with a fine individual effort which started in his own half, before Ainsworth wrapped up the points 10 minutes after the break, powerfully heading home Sam Wood’s cross from the left.thJoel Grant opened the scoring in the 10

Ainsworth made one change to the side with available-again Charles Dunne replacing Jesse Kewley-Graham. Dunne lined up at right-back with Stuart Lewis reverting to a more familiar central-midfield role. 

Wanderers were quick out of the traps and took the lead in the 10th minute through another moment of individual magic from Grant.

The forward collected Dean Morgan’s clever flick inside the Rovers half and drove forward into the penalty area. He then bamboozled one defender, leaving him on the floor before coolly slotting left-footed past Sam Walker and into the bottom corner for his seventh of the season.

Morgan then caused havoc in the area and his cross was just missed by Matt McClure before Dunne fired wide amid hesitant Rovers defending. Dunne then tested Walker from fully 30 yards as the Chairboys started the game well on top. 
The chances kept on coming and Morgan shaped a 20-yard effort just wide of Walker’s right-hand post in the 17th minute after the Rovers defence had backed off the striker. 
Skipper Matt Gill had the visitors’ first strike on goal in the 18th minute, but it was straight at Jordan Archer and the on-loan Tottenham keeper made a comfortable stop. Michael Smith then tried his luck from 25 yards, but again Archer was perfectly positioned and made a simple save. 
Rovers were enjoying their best spell, but it was Grant again who came close on the half-hour mark, volleying over from just outside the area after the visitors had failed to properly clear a Josh Scowen corner. 
Matt Lund headed over for Rovers when he perhaps should have done better and then curled wide of the post from 20 yards, but the Chairboys were still creating chances of their own and Morgan’s free-kick deflected off a head in the wall and floated narrowly over with two minutes of the first half remaining.

The visitors started the second half brightly and Archer was called into action within the first 60 seconds when he made a fine stop to prevent Smith who had forced his way through the Wycombe defence. Garry Kenneth then fired over from a corner as Rovers forced the Blues back.

Despite being under pressure for much of the early stages of the second half it was the Chairboys who went on to double their advantage in the 55th minute through Ainsworth. The player/manager got on the end of a dangerous Wood cross to head home emphatically in front of the terrace from six yards.

The second goal appeared to kill of the visitors with neither side creating a chance until Matt Lund’s deflected strike went wide in the 78th minute. Wanderers had done a professional job in nullifying the threat from Rovers with Scowen and Stuart Lewis proving an effective screen in front of the back four, which was again superbly led by skipper Dave Winfield. 
Substitute Ade Azeez came close to his first goal in the light and dark blue with eight minutes remaining when he hit Ainsworth’s cross first time, but Walker got down quickly to save.

Lund was shown a second yellow card deep into injury-time for a late challenge on Lewis as the visitors’ frustrations spilled over.

Wycombe: Archer, Dunne, Wood, Winfield (c), Johnson, Andrade, Lewis, Scowen, Grant (Ainsworth 46), Morgan, McClure (Azeez 77). 
Subs: Harrison, McCoy, Kewley-Graham, Oli, Morias.

Bristol Rovers: Walker, Woodards (Clucas 72), Kenneth, Branston, Paterson, Smith (Riordan 63), Lund, Gill (Norburn 58), Parkes, Clarkson, Eaves. 
Subs: Gough, Broghammer Brown, Harding.

Attendance: 3,740 (487 Rovers)

Advertisement block