Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Accrington 0-2 Blues

15 December 2012

First-half goals from Bruno Andrade and Matt McClure earned battling 10-man Wanderers a well-deserved 2-0 victory at Accrington Stanley.

Andrade opened the scoring in the 11th minute, slotting home after Stuart Lewis’ initial shot been blocked and fell to him 10 yards out. It was 2-0 in the 33rd minute when Matt McClure fired in from 10 yards after Dean Morgan’s effort had rebounded back off the post.

McClure was sent off for two bookable offences early in the second half, but the Chairboys defended superbly with every man putting their body on the line for the cause.

Gareth Ainsworth made two changes to the side that draw 2-2 with Morecambe last Saturday including naming himself in the starting line-up in place of suspended Joel Grant. Marvin McCoy was also in the XI, replacing the injured Dave Winfield. That meant that Charles Dunne moved across to partner Kortney Hause in the centre of the defence.

Bohan Dixon had an effort inside the opening 60 seconds, but he was well of target.  Wanderers’ first attempt came in the ninth minute and Matt McClure was inches wide from giving the visitors after receiving the ball inside the area from Josh Scowen, but his shot curled the wrong side of the post.

However, it was 1-0 two minutes later when Stuart Lewis had a long-range effort blocked and the ball fell for Andrade who tucked in from six yards. It was a goal that the Chairboys’ early play had deserved and they looked dangerous every time they went forward. 

McClure almost added a second four minutes later when he showed good strength to hold off Aristote Nsiala, only to clear the bar with a 20-yard effort.

Accrington’s first shot on target came in the 23rd minute, but skipper Luke Joyce’s low strike was straight at Jordan Archer and it was a comfortable save for the on-loan Tottenham keeper.

Chairboys doubled their advantage in the 33rd minute when Morgan did well to beat his man before curling past Paul Rachubka. However, the ball bounced back off the post, only for McClure, who was in the right place, to side-foot home.

Lee Molyneux had Archer worried six minutes before the break when his left-footed free-kick curled over the wall, but also over the bar. Archer did superbly well a minute before the interval to keep out Ramuald Boco’s swerving 20-yarder. The ball was moving a lot and Archer kept his eyes on it to parry away to safety.

Jo Kuffour replaced Morgan at half-time and the start of the second half was pretty scrappy with McClure going into the book for a late challenge on Michael Liddle.

Wanderers were reduced to 10 men for the third successive game in the 56th minute when McClure picked up a second caution for another needless challenge on a defender.

Andrade forced Rachubka into another save in the 59th minute when a shot from the left-hand edge of the area following a quick break involving Kuffour. Andrade was even closer two minutes later, hitting the side-netting after Rachubka had stopped his first shot.

The on-loan QPR winger was then involved in his own area, producing a brilliant sliding block to deny a clear shot on Archer’s goal.

Accrington piled on the pressure but the Wanderers, led magnificently by Charles Dunne and Kortney Hause, repelled every attack and put their bodies on the line in defence.

The effort and spirit was epitomised four minutes from time when Lewis threw himself in the way of a goalbound shot after McCoy had lost the ball in the area.

Wycombe: Archer, McCoy, Wood, Dunne, Hause, Ainsworth (Oli 77), Lewis (c), Scowen, Andrade (Kewley-Graham 88), Morgan (Kuffour 46), McClure. 
Subs: Harrison, Ehui, Morias, Angol..

Accrington: Rachubka, Winnard, Liddle (Lindfield 66), Murphy, Nsiala, Miller (Carver 50), Joyce, Boco, Dixon (Clark 75), Molyneux, Amond. 
Subs: Dawber, Barnett, Mingoia, Hatfield.

Attendance: 1,050 (119 Wycombe)

Advertisement block