Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Report: York 1-3 Wycombe

18 August 2012

Sam Wood’s stunning 40-yard dipping volley was the pick of Wycombe’s goals as they secured a well-deserved 3-1 victory at newly-promoted York City.

Matt Bloomfield’s deflected effort gave the Blues the lead before Wood’s goal-of-the-season contender just before the break.

Stuart Beavon added a third before Jason Walker scrambled home a consolation for York, but the damage had already been done.

Gary Waddock made three changes to the side that started at Watford with Stuart Beavon back in the team after recovering from illness, left-back Grant Basey in for the injured Charles Dunne and Leon Johnson replacing Marvin McCoy.

Neither side created any openings of note early on, but the Blues took the lead in the 27th minute. 

Wanderers attacked down the right and Anthony Stewart’s effort fell for Bloomfield, who took a chance and fired goalwards from 18 yards. The ball hit a York defender and wrong-footed keeper Michael Ingham who was left with no chance.

York hit back well and Grant Basey produced a fine last-ditch challenge to prevent Jason Walker going through on goal. Leon Johnson then did well to head away with the hosts in a dangerous position.

Jonathan Smith had York’s first strike on target, but his half-volley from Walker’s lay-off was straight at Nikki Bull. The home side’s closest effort of the first half came when the ball deflected off Michael Coulson and drifted narrowly wide of Bull’s post.

The hosts finished half the strongly and Coulson’s effort deflected off Spring and fell to Walker in the area, but his acrobatic scissor kick went wide.

Beavon dispossessed Chris Doig, ran at the centre-back before striking left-footed from 25 yards, however, Ingham saved comfortably.

Wanderers doubled their advantage in the 43rd minute and in stunning fashion. The ball fell to Sam Wood fully 40 yards out from goal and the winger struck a perfect dipping volley over the helpless Ingham.

Jonathan Smith should have reduced the deficit within 60 seconds of the restart, but he shot over from 10 yards when well placed.

Things got even better for the Blues in the 53rd minute when Grant Basey’s deep cross was knocked back and Beavon drilled home from eight yards.

The hosts pulled one back two minutes later when the ball deflected in off Walker following a goalmouth scramble.

Bull did well to tip over Daniel Parslow’s strike from 18 yards following good play on the right from former Wycombe loanee Ashley Chambers as the hosts increased the pressure.

Smith tried his luck again 12 minutes from time, but could only find Bull and that was as close as York came.

York: Ingham, Parslow, Fyfield, C Smith (c), Doig, Bullock (Blair), J Smith, McLaughlin (Challinor), Walker, Coulson (McReady 68), Chambers.

Subs: Musselwhite, Oyebanjo, Blanchett, McReady, Blair, Potts, Challinor.

Wycombe: Bull, Stewart, Basey, Doherty (c), Johnson, Spring, Lewis, Bloomfield (Winfield 86), Grant (Oli 75), Wood, Beavon (Logan 93).
Subs: Harrison, Winfield, Logan, Oli, Angol, Kewley-Graham, Hause.

Attendance: 4591

Advertisement block