Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

26 December 2020 Venue Ashton Gate Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - Championship

Advertisement block

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Bristol City 2-1 Wycombe

Wycombe concede a late winner.

26 December 2020

Bristol City won late on through a Famara Diedhiou strike, whilst Garath McCleary scored and Wycombe gave a good account of themselves, despite defeat at Ashton Gate.

The home side took the lead in the first half through Chris Martin, after Callum O'Dowda delivered a ball to the back post which the striker nodded home.

Garath McCleary equalised for the Chairboys in the second half with a side-footed shot that deflected off Adrian Mariappa and beat the Bristol City goalkeeper.

Although Wycombe were in the ascendancy creating numerous opportunities, Bristol City got one final chance late on as Famara Diedhiou fired a strike into the top corner to give The Robins the win.

Gareth Ainsworth's team news revealed a start for Darius Charles and Curtis Thompson, who had both been out for lengthy spells due to injury. Fred Onyedinma was the final change coming into the starting eleven.

The opening stages of the game were equal with both sides testing each other. Bristol City’s top goalscorer, Nahki Wells, managed to get in-behind Wycombe’s defence, but the strikers first touch was poor and took the ball out for a goal-kick.

Garath McCleary was the first Wycombe player to try his luck, hitting a strike from the edge of the box which went over the bar.

The home side opened the scoring after Callum O'Dowda delivered a cross to the far post and Chris Martin leapt to head the ball into the net.

Following the goal, Bristol took control of the game and nearly scored an instant second if not for Darius Charles' defensive awareness. The Wycombe defender was on the goal line to clear away Antoine Semenyo’s strike, which was destined for the back of the net.

The same partnership that created the first Bristol City goal nearly produced a second, but this time Martin blazed the ball over the bar from close range to give Wycombe a fortunate escape. Bristol went into the break with a one-goal advantage.

Following the restart, Bristol City’s Wells was first to get a shot away after finding some space out on the left-hand side, but the striker dragged his shot wide with his weaker foot.

Wycombe’s goalscorer from the previous game, Anis Mehmeti, was brought on with Ainsworth looking to change the match as McCleary moved to the left-hand side.

The 19-year-old was immediately involved in Wycombe's equaliser, driving at the Bristol City defence. Mehmeti created space and took a shot that came back out to McCleary who hit a strike that clipped Adrian Mariappa and went into the back of the net.

Curtis Thompson was substituted late on for Dennis Adeniran, both of which were making their first appearances since late November.

In the last twenty minutes, it was Wycombe’s turn to dial up the pressure with the home side forced into errors as The Chairboys looked for a winner.

However, Opi Edwards brought down a ball and Famara Diedhiou hit an unstoppable strike into the top corner to give Bristol City the lead with three minutes to go and eventually, the win.

Wycombe will look ahead to their next fixture at home to Cardiff City on Tuesday.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block