Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:30 (UK)

24 July 2018 Venue The Meadow Attendance 762 Referee Simon Parbery

Kick off 19:30 (UK)

Chesham United
1 - 2
Wycombe Wanderers
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Chesham 1-2 Wycombe

Read the report from the Meadow.

24 July 2018

Goals from Sam Saunders and Craig Mackail-Smith gave Wycombe a 2-1 victory against Chesham United at the Meadow.

David Pearce had levelled the scores for the Southern League Premier side, but a well taken finish from second half substitute Mackail-Smith with two minutes of normal time remaining ensured Wanderers had their first win of pre-season.

There was almost a fortuitous opener for the Chairboys with five minutes on the clock. Paris Cowan-Hall attempted to chest the ball into the path of Scott Kashket, defender Matthew Hall came around to cover inside the area but his clearance rebounded off Kashket and went inches wide.

Back came Wycombe three minutes later as Nick Freeman zipped in a low ball across the six-yard box; Benji Crilley slid in to make a goal-saving interception as Cowan-Hall lurked behind him ready to pounce.

In a very strong start for Wanderers, who lined up in a 4-3-3 formation, Luke O’Nien let fly with a swerving volley from 25-yards, deceiving keeper Alex Tokarczyk who just about to managed to fumble it to safety with eight minutes played.

As Chesham started to get tighter to their men following a ferocious start, the next chance for Wycombe did not arrive until 22nd minute as Freeman headed a Cowan-Hall cross over the bar.

Two minutes later a stunning move from the Chairboys almost brought about the first goal of the game. Skipper for the first 45, Saunders started it, juggling the ball over his man on halfway. Freeman and O'Nien linked up for Kashket to get his shot away, but it was somehow blocked,

Kashket went close again just short of the half-hour mark. Freeman clipped one in at hip-height from the left, and the forward did well to get down and flick a header towards the far corner, going a whisker wide.

The ball was pumped forward for Cowan-Hall to chase on 32 minutes, he got there first and knocked it into space with two defenders on his tail before getting a shot away, bringing out a good save from Tokarczyk down to his left. Paris would then clip the crossbar two minutes later as he looked to pick out an orange shirt at the back stick.

Kashket left the field with just over seven minutes of the first-half to play after pulling up chasing down a loose ball on the right. He would be replaced by Trialist-CF who almost scored with his first touch on 44 minutes as he headed Cowan-Hall’s cross off-target with the keeper scrambling.

Half-time Chesham United 0-0 Wycombe Wanderers

Gareth Ainsworth made one change for the restart as captain Adam El-Abd replaced Anthony Stewart, and within five minutes of the second half the Chairboys had their first goal of pre-season, courtesy of Saunders.

O'Nien found Freeman with a fine ball on the left flank, and it was an even better touch from the forward to keep it in on the touchline. He raced down the left, picked out Saunders on the edge of the box, and he cushioned it into the corner.

There was nearly a second on 54 minutes as Cowan-Hall latched on to a Michael Harriman through ball. He cut it back to Freeman who saw he near-post shot deflect wide.

From the resulting corner Saunders picked out Harriman on the edge with a low ball. The full-back opted to hit it first time and it went just over the bar after taking a nick on the way through to goal.

Ryan Blake went close to levelling for the hosts on the hour mark, firing into the side-netting  after nipping in to meet an underhit back-header from El-Abd.

Two more changes for Wycombe on 62 minutes as Joe Jacobson and Mackail-Smith replaced Sido Jombati and Cowan-Hall.

Mackail-Smith was straight into the action, curling a shot into the keeper's arms, before Max Holland poked wide at the other end after a good run down the left with just over twenty minutes left to play.

O’Nien looked to put the game beyond Chesham with a bending effort towards the far post on 73 minutes, forcing substitute keeper Mo Sampat to tip behind. Trialist-CF then nodded the following set-piece over the bar after looking to pick out the far-corner.

Wycombe’s fifth change of the night saw goalscorer Saunders leave the field on 75 minutes, replaced by Matt Bloomfield in the centre of the park.

Some neat one-touch football saw Bloomfield get a glimpse of goal with 10 minutes to go but his effort was blocked out to the edge. Jacobson then tried his luck with the loose ball but that too was charged down.

Chesham were level on 83 minutes as Blake managed to pick out Pearce unmarked in the centre. The striker sent a low header into the far corner to make it 1-1.

The scores were not even for long as Wycombe retook the lead five minutes later. A ball over the top was met by Mackail-Smith who dinked it over the oncoming Sampat and into the net.

That was how it would stay as Wanderers recorded their first win of pre-season ahead of their final friendly at Maidenhead United on Friday night (27/7).

Wycombe:  Ma-Kalambay, Harriman, Jombati  (Jacobson 62’), Trialist-CB, Stewart (El-Abd 46’), Bean, Saunders (Bloomfield 75’), O’Nien, Kashket (Trialist-CF 37’), Freeman, Cowan-Hall (Mackail-Smith 62’).

Subs not used: Allsop, Gape, Tyson.

Chesham: Tokarczyk, Crilley, Walster, Trialist, Hall, Locke, Bates, Green, Blake, Webb, Pearce.

Subs: Swales, Sampat, Holland, Brooks, Loakes, Bevans, Evans.

Attendance: 762

Advertisement block

Advertisement block