Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 17:30 (UK)

Buy tickets
06 May 2017 Venue Adams Park Attendance

Kick off 17:30 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Wycombe v Cambridge

6 May 2017

Report: Wycombe 1-0 Cambridge

A second half Scott Kashket goal gave the Chairboys all three points on the final day of the season, though results elsewhere meant that Wycombe missed out on the play-offs by just one point.

One positive to come out of today's result meant that it was just two defeats in Wanderers' last 13 games, which is something to build on for Gareth Ainsworth and his squad next season. 

The boss made three changes for this one with Matt Bloomfield, Myles Weston and Kashket coming in for Luke O'Nien, Garry Thompson and Paul Hayes who dropped to the bench.

The first chance went to the Chairboys on 3 minutes admist a carnival atmosphere at Adams Park, and oh what a chance it was. Kashket latched on to a poor header back to his keeper from Leon Legge, he dinked it over the keeper and put it wide with the open goal glaring at him.

At the other end Maris' cross was deflected behind by Aaron Pierre, which so nearly creeped in on 8 minutes.

It was a good start from the home side who were firmly dictating the play with some intricate passing in the middle. U's right-back Bard Halliday went into the book early doors as he brought down Weston after the winger got the better of him down the left.

Although the game continued at a fast pace, clear cut chances were hard to come by. Cambridge keeper Will Norris spilled a cross under pressure from Adebayo Akinfenwa and the U's scrambled it clear on the half hour mark.

Another chance presented itself to Kashket on 33 minutes as he was played in inside the box. The striker placed it low but Norris was equal to it; putting it behind for a corner.

Kashket was everywhere in the first half. Akinfenwa set one for him just outside the box and his first-time effort went just wide in first half stoppage time.

Half-time: Wycombe 0-0 Cambridge

First chance of the second half went to? You guessed it Kashket as his shot defelcted over for a corner. Saunders took the set-piece and Sido Jombati headed narrowly over on 47 minutes.

Sam Saunders went close on 52 minutes as he sent a zipping low-drive towards the bottom-left corner from 25 yards out. Norris did well to palm it away.

Jamal Blackman was tested for the first time in the match on 57 minutes as Gerry McDonagh tried his luck from just inside the area, though it was a comfortable save for the shot-stopper.

Weston sent a looping ball in the direction of Akinfenwa on the left just past the hour-mark. Bayo rose highest put sent his header past the near post.

O'Nien came on in place of Bloomfield on 62 minutes, and was straight into the action earning a corner. From that corner, Wycombe finally got the breakthrough and Kashket was the scorer. Akinfenwa knocked Jacobson's across goal from the back post and Kashket was there to nod it home.

Marcus Bean received a yellow card for a foul just outside the area on Piero Mingoia. Luke Berry took the free kick and sent it just past Blackman's right post. 

Paris Cowan-Hall was introduced to the field in place of Weston on 76 minutes. Soon after McDonagh tried his luck again but there was no getting past the Chairboys keeper.

Cowan-Hall first contribution came with just under ten minutes to go as he nipped inside from the left but dragged his shot wide.

Wycombe's final change was Kashket coming off for Thompson; which was his 100th appearance for the Chairboys.

Saunders curled one towards the far corner as the clock ticked down. but Norris was there to deny him.

Blackman added another top-quality save to his catalogue denying sub Ben Williamson's blistering low drive as the game moved into stoppage time.

The game's final opportunity went to Cambridge and it was a superb stop on the line by Harriman to deny Legge and Cambridge a point.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block