Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Club History

Wycombe Wanderers were founded in 1887, at a meeting held at the Steam Engine pub on Station Road. Playing friendly matches in its early years, the club joined the Southern League in 1896, a year after having moved to Loakes Park, which was to be its home for 95 years.

The Chairboys resisted the opportunity to turn professional, remaining amateur and enjoying success as two-time champions of the Spartan League, joining the Isthmian League in 1921.

Ten years later, in 1931, they achieved one of the finest accolades to date, winning the FA Amateur Cup at Highbury in front of 32,000 fans, defeating Hayes 1-0.

In 1947, Frank Adams - a former captain of the club having made 331 appearances for the club - presented the deeds of Loakes Park to Wycombe Wanderers, enabling the club to own its own ground and provide the platform for future success.

Sid Cann was appointed manager in 1952 and led the club to their first Isthmian League title in 1956, which was then succesfully defended the following year, in which they also reached a second FA Amateur Cup Final. On this occasion, though, they were defeated 3-1 by Bishop Auckland at Wembley.

Brian Lee became the club's first conventional manager in 1968 - with team selection having previously been chosen by committee - and his arrival heralded three more Isthmian League titles inside four years, while the club also reached the third round of the FA Cup for the very first time, losing 1-0 to top-flight Middlesbrough in a replay after a 0-0 draw at Loakes Park.

A period of transition followed and Wycombe joined a national league - the Gola League - for the first time in 1985. They were relegated and promoted as the division became renamed as the GM Vauxhall Conference, and the departure of boss Jim Kelman at the end of the decade paved the way for a period of unprecedent success at Wanderers' new home.

Martin O'Neill's appointment as manager came in the same year as the club's move to its current Adams Park home. In 1991, the Chairboys had an FA Trophy title to their name, clinching a 2-1 win over Kidderminster Harriers at Wembley, and came agonisingly close to winning promotion to the Football League a year later, just missing out on goal difference.

However, success returned the following season, and in some style, as Wycombe won the double to be crowned Conference champions and FA Trophy winners once again, with Runcorn being swept aside 4-1 at Wembley in the final.

The club's forward progress didn't end there, as their first season in the Football League ended in triumph, winning the play-off final 4-2 against Preston North End to reach the third tier, and they came close to another play-off adventure the following season in 1995.

O'Neill departed that summer and the club survived a couple of relegation scares, most notably in 1999 when Lawrie Sanchez steered the club away from danger with a memorable final day win at Lincoln City.

Two years later, Sanchez masterminded an incredible run to the semi-final of the FA Cup, beating Wolves, Wimbledon and Leicester on the way to a meeting with Liverpool at Villa Park, with the Premier League giants edging through with a 2-1 win.

Tony Adams was appointed manager in 2003 but couldn't halt a relegation back to the fourth tier, but the club turned their fortunes around quickly, building a promotion-chasing squad each year, including a play-off semi-final defeat to Cheltenham in 2006. The following year, Wycombe reached the semi-final of the League Cup in 2007 under Paul Lambert's tutelage, holding Chelsea to a 1-1 draw at Adams Park in the first leg.

Lambert took the club into the play-offs in 2008 but again there was disappointment as Stockport progressed to Wembley, but new manager Peter Taylor secured automatic promotion the following year, only for the Chairboys to struggle in League 1 and they suffered an instant return, with Gary Waddock the new man at the helm.

Waddock rebuilt the squad, including the signing of inspirational captain Gareth Ainsworth, and led the Blues to another promotion in 2011, although again the spell in the third tier was short and sweet.

That summer of 2012 saw the club fall into the hands of its Supporters Trust, becoming one of the few fan-owned clubs in the Football League, and Waddock departed soon after, with Ainsworth taking the reins as manager. A year of consolidation was followed by a season of struggle, but a miraculous final day escape from relegation at Torquay proved to be the catalyst for a period of progress.

The following season (2014/15), the Chairboys accumulated their highest ever points total in the Football League to reach the play-off final at the new Wembley Stadium, losing out to Southend United on penalties, and enjoyed FA Cup adventures against Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspur in the two years that followed.

Promotion to League 1 was clinched in the 2017/18 as Gareth Ainsworth led his side to a third place finish, sealing their passage to the third tier with a 2-1 win at Chesterfield as Player of the Year Adebayo Akinfenwa led the line once again with 18 goals in all competitions.