Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 11:43 AM

Wanderers suffered a narrow defeat at Gigg Lane which saw them drop to 22nd in Sky Bet League 2. 

In a closely-fought encounter, the game was decided 10 minutes before the break courtesy of a strike from Shakers striker Anton Forrester. 

Gareth Ainsworth named an unchanged team for the third consecutive fixture, while Paris Cowan-Hall was back on the bench following a knee medial ligament injury at the expense of Kortney Hause, who joined Wolves on Friday. 

Wycombe’s skipper Stuart Lewis registered the first shot on target when he tested former Burnley keeper Brian Jensen after the hosts squandered possession 30 yards out. 

Another poor pass, this time by Pablo Mills on the edge of Bury’s 18-yard box, presented Sam Wood with a shooting opportunity, but the midfielder saw his effort blocked. 

Despite the visitors’ two half-chances, it was David Flitcroft’s men who were enjoying the better of the ball and they nearly turned that possession into a goal midway through the first half, but Forrester’s dipping volley went inches wide of the target. 

Forrester didn’t miss with his next opportunity though, firing low under Matt Ingram into the bottom left-hand corner from the edge of the box on 34 minutes. 

The Chairboys responded well to going behind and almost drew level instantly, but Josh Scowen wasn’t able to turn Reece Styche’s cross home from a tight angle. 

Nick Arnold then forced Jensen into a save from distance as Wycombe ended the half on top, which they carried on into the opening exchanges of the second period. 

Matt McClure mis-hit Wood’s inviting cross from the left while, at the other end, Ashley Grimes hit the side-netting with a close-range effort after bursting into the Blues’ box. 

Anthony Stewart replaced the injured Leon Johnson before Jordan Mustoe made way for Cowan-Hall, who injected a bit of life into the visitors as they looked for the equaliser. 

The 23-year-old saw his delivery poked wide by Arnold, who then sent a volley narrowly past Jensen’s right-hand post with 15 minutes remaining. 

Despite enjoying more territorial advantage, the closest the Chairboys came to a late leveller was when Mills headed onto the roof of his own net.     

Wanderers: Ingram, McCoy, Mustoe (Cowan-Hall 71), Doherty, Johnson (Stewart 54), Arnold, Scowen, Lewis (c), Wood, Styche, McClure (Jeffrey 87). 

Unused subs: Horlock, Bloomfield, Kretzschmar, Kuffour.

    Latest Match Reports