Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 23 Aug 11 at 21:39 PM


Wanderers have exited the Carling Cup at the second stage after Nottingham Forest produced a clinical display to pick up a 4-1 victory at Adams Park.

FormerEngland boss Steve McClaren enjoyed a superb start to the game, seeing Ishmael Miller and Lewis McGugan make it 2-0 within six minutes of the start as the Championship side imposed their class in attack.

Robbie Findley fired home Forest's third after the break before Wycombe were given hope through Elliot Benyon's penalty, but it proved to be a false dawn when Radoslaw Majewski tapped into an empty net to complete the scoring.

The Blues will look to return to form in the league when they travel north to Huddersfield Town on Saturday (k.o. 3pm).

Gary Waddock made seven changes to his starting XI but the shuffle didn't sacrifice any experience, with Stuart Lewis, Kevin Betsy and Matt Bloomfield all making their first starts of the season along with loan striker Elliot Benyon.

There was a scare within 90 seconds when Chris Cohen escaped down the left flank on the counter-attack and whipped a low cross along the six-yard line, just evading the outstretched boot of Ishmael Miller.

But the striker went one better moments later when a routine through-ball from Radoslaw Majewski caught the home defence napping and Miller was able to fire past Nikki Bull from 15 yards.

It got worse with fewer than six minutes on the clock when Miller again bore down on goal, taking the ball past Bull but having his heels clipped by the keeper and giving referee Danny McDermid no choice but to award the penalty. Lewis McGugan took the spot-kick and although Bull got a hand to it, the ball struck the back of the net to continue Forest's dream start to the cup tie.

Wycombe could have halved the deficit a minute later when Stuart Lewis fed Joel Grant but the winger took one touch too many, allowing Luke Chambers to block his goalbound effort.

Bull then had to make a smart two-handed save to deny McGugan a second goal when the ball fell kindly to the midfielder on the edge of the area, with Forest continuing to show their dominance in all areas, before the same player saw his swerving free-kick parried away as his personal duel with Bull continued.

Forest's pacy and direct approach was often too hot to handle and the lead should have been stretched on 36 minutes when Robbie Findley latched on to a bouncing through-ball only to fire over the bar under pressure from Dave Winfield.

McGugan's curling free-kick from out wide bounced back off the bar as the visitors looked to kill the game before the interval, and the two-goal deficit prompted Gary Waddock to make a tactical change at the break, switching to a 4-3-3 and bringing on Ben Harding for Scott Rendell.

The new formation benefited the hosts in terms of being able to retain possession for longer spells but the attacking potency was still missing, with Forest happy to keep men behind the ball and then look to break at pace.

Wanderers' best opening came on the hour-mark and it was Elliot Benyon who almost scored his first goal for his boyhood club, receiving the ball just inside the area and beating the keeper with a low drive only to see the ball bounce back off the post.

But having come so close to making it 2-1, Wycombe were hit with a sucker punch when American striker Robbie Findley made it 3-0 moments later, receiving a fine pass from substitute Joe Garner before cutting inside and firing home via a slight deflection.

Steve McClaren's men must have thought their passage to round three was safe but they were given a quick reality check when Joel Lynch brought down Stuart Lewis in the area, allowing Benyon to roll home the penalty to make it 3-1 on 66 minutes.

Then came the double substitution which introduced Kadeem Harris and Jordan Ibe into the action - the former and current holders of the club record for the youngest professional to appear for the Wanderers.

A smart stop from Bull denied Radoslaw Majewski as the Championship side pushed for a fourth before Luke Chambers' downward header was comfortably gathered on the goal-line by the keeper.

At the other end, Jordon Ibe flashed a shot past the near post after cutting inside before Forest's fourth goal arrived moments later, as Joe Garner escaped down the left and cut the ball across the box for Majewski to slot home with ease.

Joe Garner then crashed a header against the bar before Kadeem Harris fired wide after good work at the other end, while Dave Winfield came close with a header as the game moved towards stoppage time.

Referee Danny McDermid then called time on a cup tie which would have been pleasing on the eye for a neutral but ultimately left Wycombe bemoaning the early lapses of concentration which left them chasing the game to no avail.

    Latest Match Reports