Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 24 Mar 12 at 14:12 PM


Nikki Bull saved a penalty and Stuart Beavon headed home in injury-time as Wycombe secured a well-deserved 1-1 draw with high-flying MK Dons.

Daniel Powell had given the visitors the lead 60 seconds after half-time, but Beavon rose highest to meet Gareth Ainsworth's corner and stretch the Blues' unbeaten run to five games.

Wanderers started brightly with Marvin McCoy and Ben Strevens both having early efforts.

However, it was visitors who had a great chance to take the lead in the 10th minute when McCoy bundled Alan Smith over in the area and referee Jock Waugh immediately pointed to the spot.

Nikki Bull came to the Blues' rescue with a fine stop low to his right to keep out Jay O'Shea's penalty - the third successive spot-kick that he has saved.

Stephen Gleeson was inches away from opening the scoring with a powerful 25-yard effort that flew just over the crossbar, before Strevens came close for the hosts in the 22nd minute.

The Dons' keeper David Martin spilled Stuart Beavon's long-range effort, but recovered in the nick of time to get to the ball just before Strevens, who would have had a simple tap-in.

Wycombe almost fell behind less than a minute later, though, when good work from Daniel Powell saw the ball fall to O'Shea in the area, but he was once again denied by an in-form Bull.

Grant Basey had a close-range effort blocked following a Blues free-kick and Stuart Lewis fired the rebound wide as the hosts went toe-to-toe with their opponents.

Shaun Williams almost hooked the ball into his own goal three minutes from the break as Wycombe ended the first half strongly, but his sliced clearance drifted narrowly wide.

And Beavon had Gary Waddock's side's best chance of the opening period with a minute of it remaining when he latched on to Anthony McNamee's flick and fired just over the bar with Martin beaten.

The Dons took the lead within 60 seconds of the restart when Wycombe failed to clear their lines and Daniel Powell drilled into the right-hand corner.

Bull saved from another Powell effort two minutes later and Strevens headed over from close-range as both sides attacked.

Eastmond blazed an effort over as Wycombe pressed forward and Lewis was unlucky to see his well-hit strike fly straight at Martin after the Dons had failed to deal with a Gareth Ainsworth free-kick.

Wanderers kept plugging away and got their reward in injury-time when Bull caused havoc in the visitors' area after going up for an Ainsworth corner and Beavon headed in his 22nd goal of the season.

Wanderers: Bull (c), McCoy, Basey, Laing, Doherty, Eastmond, Lewis, Hackett (Ainsworth 63), McNamee (McClure 60), Strevens, Beavon.
Subs: Stewart, Dunne, Scowen.
Booking: Basey
Goal: Beavon (90)

MK Dons: Martin, Doumbe, Lewington (c), Flanagan, Williams, Powell, Gleeson, Potter, O'Shea (Bowditch 63), MacDonald (Chadwick 90), Smith (Ibehre 78).
Subs: McLoughlin, Hall.
Booking: Smith
Goal: Powell (46).

    Latest Match Reports