Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 20 Mar 12 at 23:42 PM


Paul Hayes scored twice and top scorer Stuart Beavon was also on target as the Blues beat Exeter 3-1 to record back-to-back victories for the first time this season.

Gary Waddock made one change from the XI that started against Bury with Grant Basey coming in for the injured Danny Foster.

It was Basey who had the first chance, but his free-kick in the opening minute was parried away by Lenny Pidgeley and then scrambled clear.

Exeter striker Daniel Nardiello fired wide as the hosts came back into the contest, but it was Wycombe who created the next chance however, Ben Strevens was just unable to reach Stuart Beavon's through ball.

The majority of the first half was played in midfield with neither side creating too much, but the best chance of the opening period came in the 32nd minute when top scorer Beavon lobbed narrowly wide.

It was strike partner Paul Hayes that supplied the through ball and Beavon lifted the ball over the on-rushing Pidgeley from the edge of the area, but also just past the post.

Marvin McCoy produced a fine goal-saving challenge on Nardiello with the striker racing clear, but the final chance of the half was Wycombe's when Matt Bloomfield's free-kick evaded everyone and almost crept in at the far post.

Eastmond fired wide seconds after he restart following a burst forward from Stuart Lewis, before Beavon was denied by Elliott Frear's brave block.

Blues' dominance was rewarded 11 minutes after the restart when Beavon ran past Pat Baldwin and fired powerfully at Pidgeley, who could only parry the ball back for Hayes to slot in from close-range.

It could have been 2-0 after 62 minutes following more good work from Beavon, but Streven's effort was superbly parried away.

However, it was 2-0 a minute later when Beavon was played through on goal and finished at the second attempt after Pidgeley had kept out his initial effort.

The two-goal advantage didn't last long though as James Dunne's powerful free-kick gave Nikki Bull no chance and reduced the deficit.

Wanderers didn't let that setback affect them and they added a third in the 69th minute when Beavon caused havoc in the area and the ball fell to Hayes, who looped a header into the far corner.

Dunne had another free-kick well saved by Bull as Exeter tried to push forward, but the Blues were superbly marshaled by Gary Doherty.

Nardiello forced Bull into a flying save with seven minutes remaining, but it was Wycombe who had the ball in net with five minutes left, but Strevens' effort was ruled out for offside.

Substitute Chris Hackett looked lively when he came on and he had a late effort comfortably saved by Pidgeley, but it mattered little as the Blues comfortably held on.

Wanderers: Bull, McCoy, Basey, Doherty, Winfield (Johnson 34), Bloomfield, Lewis, Eastmond, Strevens (Ainsworth 90), Beavon, Hayes (Hackett 82).
Subs: Laing, McClure.
Bookings: Beavon, Johnson.

Exeter: Pidgeley, Tully, Frear, Baldwin, Fortune (Logan, 62), Dunne, Archibald-Henville, Sercombe, Nardiello, Taylor (Bauza 61), Dalla Valle.
Subs: Krysiak, O'Brien, O'Flynn.

    Latest Match Reports