Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 14 Jan 12 at 17:05 PM


Wanderers' set-piece nightmare returned as they succumbed to a 3-2 defeat to Preston North End at Deepdale.

Despite dominating the opening 45 minutes and taking the lead through Marcello Trotta, they were pegged back before the break when Harry Bunn converted following a corner from the left.

Preston took the lead just before the hour-mark when Jake Jervis reacted first to a loose ball from another corner and Paul Parry then converted a penalty to make it 3-1.

The sending off of left-back Steven Smith gave Wycombe hope before Trotta scrambled home a late consolation, while a series of questionable refereeing decisions contributed to a frustrating day in the north-west..

Gary Waddock reacted to the 6-0 defeat at the hands of Huddersfield Town by making four changes for the clash at Deepdale.

Anthony Stewart made his first ever professional appearance at centre-back while Kadeem Harris returned against the side he tormented in the 4-3 reverse at Adams Park in September.

After soaking up some early Preston pressure, the Blues took the lead thanks to Marcello Trotta's seventh goal in eight games when he fired low past Thorsten Stuckmann after his initial shot had been saved.

Buoyed by the Italian's strike, Waddock's men went in search of a second and only smart saves from Stuckmann denied the dangerous Harris and Trotta adding to Wycombe's early advantage.

Stuart Beavon then had a goal disallowed for a foul on his marker from a Matt Bloomfield corner before Harris couldn't quite connect with the former's teasing cross from the left.

Beavon's influence on the game was growing by the minute, and he flashed a 20-yard drive just past the right-hand post side before forcing a fine one-handed stop from the busy Stuckmann.

Danny Mayor's introduction for Adam Barton produced a spark for Preston, his pass setting up Paul Coutts who called Nikki Bull into action for the first time with a low shot.

The Lilywhites were level from the resulting corner, on-loan Manchester City forward Harry Bunn smashing home from inside the six-yard box after Wanderers had failed to clear.

Wycombe didn't deserve to be pegged back but had no-one to blame but themselves for their self-destruction after the interval, with two more set-pieces bringing about goals for the hosts.

The first was headed against the crossbar by Clarke Carlisle and Jake Jervis was on hand to tap the ball home on the goal-line, before the second resulted in a penalty for a push on Craig Morgan.

Anthony Stewart was adjudged to have impeded the defender and Paul Parry sent Nikki Bull the wrong way from the spot to make it 3-1 soon past the hour-mark.

Wycombe were handed a lifeline moments later when Steven Smith was shown a second yellow card for two fouls on Kadeem Harris, and they began to crank up the pressure with Stuart Lewis narrowly missing the target with a fizzing effort from distance.

They were denied what looked a clear penalty when Stuart Beavon was fouled in the area before they boosted their chances of salvaging a point when Trotta netted his second of the game, netting from close range after Gareth Ainsworth had blocked a team-mate's effort from distance.

Six minutes of time were added on but Wanderers were unable to summon an equaliser - helped in no small part by some shameless timewasting tactics from Preston - and were forced to endure a fourth consecutive defeat.

    Latest Match Reports