Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 31 Dec 11 at 16:56 PM


Wanderers were taught a harsh lesson at Adams Park as one moment of defensive hesitancy gave Stevenage an undeserved 1-0 victory.

The game seemed destined to end goalless as both sides cancelled each other out, with little quality on show at either end due mainly to Boro's stifling tactics.

However, when a loose ball found its way to Luke Freeman on the left-hand side of the box with eight minutes remaining, he had too much time and space to pick out an unmarked Lawrie Wilson, who slotted home with ease.

The visitors were able to close the game out despite a late chance for Gareth Ainsworth, sending Wycombe back into the bottom four on goal difference.

The opening quarter was an uneventful one with no efforts on target for either side, and the only incident of note was a nasty-looking tackle from John Halls which earned the midfielder a yellow card on 18 minutes.

Wycombe stepped up the tempo and tested the shaky handling of keeper Chris Day from long distance, with shots from Joel Grant and Halls both squirming out of his grasp and behind for corners.

Boro's lack of attacking creativity forced manager Graham Westley into a double change with just 37 minutes on the clock, introducing Arsenal loanees Chuks Aneke and Luke Freeman for the ineffective Stacy Long and Don Cowan.

A fine save with the legs by Nikki Bull kept out Lawrie Wilson's low drive from an angle before both sides ended the half all-square.

The first 15 minutes of the second period were equally uneventful, with both sides canceling each other out, but there was a major blow for the Blues on the hour-mark when Dave Winfield injured his knee in a tackle, requiring Grant Basey to come on at left-back with Danny Foster moving into the centre.

A looping header from Marcello Trotta forced a save from Day on 69 minutes before the Italian striker could only dink the ball over the crossbar after the keeper fumbled yet another low shot, this time from Stuart Beavon.

But the absence of Winfield cost the Blues on 82 minutes when the home defence failed to clear the ball and allowed Luke Freeman to cut the ball back for Lawrie Wilson to slam home from eight yards.

Wycombe pressed for an immediate response and came close when Trotta crossed for substitute Gareth Ainsworth to send the ball goalwards, only for Day to keep it out with his leg.

Boro held on to record a 12th consecutive game unbeaten while a first defeat in four for Wycombe ensures they will start 2012 in the bottom four.

    Latest Match Reports