Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 10 Dec 11 at 14:01 PM


Attendance: 4,586

Stuart Beavon scored a last-gasp winner as Wanderers snatched a dramatic 3-2 victory over bottom club Chesterfield at Adams Park.

Dean Morgan twice put the visitors ahead, firstly slotting home into an empty net following a counter attack and then rifling home after a defensive slip in the second half.

Anthony McNamee had levelled matters on his debut with a fine drive into the top corner midway through the first period, and Marcello Trotta netted on his Adams Park bow to make it 2-2 with 10 minutes remaining.

However, the glory was saved for man-of-the-match Beavon, who pounced from close range to find the net amidst wild celebrations.

There were four changes from the side that lost 4-3 at Milton Keynes Dons a fortnight ago but the same defensive lapses were clear for all to see, with the Spireites taking the lead inside four minutes following a routine counter-attack.

Scott Donnelly's corner was easy for keeper Tommy Lee to catch and the visitors broke quickly, feeding Craig Westcarr in acres of space of the right wing before his cross was tapped home with ease by Dean Morgan.

It got worse for Wycombe with a serious injury suffered by Scott Donnelly on 12 minutes, with the midfielder going down in agony with no-one around him and requiring a stretcher to carry him from the pitch.

His replacement Matt Bloomfield came close to scoring with his first touch when the ball fell to him from a Stuart Beavon cross, but the defender applied a crucial block to divert it wide for a corner.

The leveller came just before the half-hour mark and it was an incredible passage of play which resulted with Anthony McNamee slamming the ball into the top corner from 20 yards. A corner to the back post saw the visitors twice clear it off the line from Leon Johnson and Marcello Trotta before Dave Winfield hit the bar and Chesterfield only cleared it as far as McNamee, who kept his cool to find the net.

The goal clearly lifted Wycombe and they remained on top for the rest of the half, with Grant Basey flashing a cross-shot across the face of goal, although clear goalscoring chances were at a premium at both ends.

Wanderers began the second period brightly and twice came close through Joel Grant and Grant Basey, but were hit with a sucker punch when a bouncing ball caught out Dave Winfield and allowed Dean Morgan to latch on to it and lash home from the edge of the box.

Still Wycombe continued to move the ball around the opposition half but struggled to test Tommy Lee, with Stuart Beavon firing straight at the keeper on the hour mark.

Alex Mendy shot narrowly wide from 25 yards as the game dragged towards the final 10 minutes, but the Blues found that all-important leveller courtesy of Marcello Trotta's second goal in as many games.

The Italian striker collected the ball 25 yards out and made space for himself to place a precise effort in the bottom corner, giving Wycombe hope of salvaging all three points from a seemingly dire situation.

Trotta could have clinched the victory when he fired over the bar when Beavon picked him out in space inside the area, before Joel Grant was unable to convert a deep cross from McNamee as the clock ticked towards 90.

A draw looked inevitable until Stuart Beavon capped his man-of-the-match performance with a stoppage-time winner, nodding home after Dave Winfield had flicked on Nikki Bull's long free-kick. The celebrations will live long in the memory, and the survival charge is well and truly reignited.

    Latest Match Reports