Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 22 Oct 11 at 16:57 PM


Wycombe succumbed to a poor 2-0 defeat at Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park as second-half goals from James Wesolowski and Dean Furman were enough to give the hosts a comfortable three points.

Athletic were the better side throughout and were only denied a first-half opener when Nikki Bull made a fantastic save to deny Robbie Simpson in the six-yard box.

However, that was only delaying the inevitable as Chris Taylor crossed for Wesolowski to volley home from close range to make it 1-0 after the interval.

And the victory was safe with 10 minutes remaining when Wanderers switched off at a corner and allowed Furman to rifle home from the edge of the box.

Gary Waddock named an unchanged side for the first time this season in a bid to gather momentum following their excellent 3-1 victory at Hartlepool United the previous weekend.

There was an early scare when a surging run forward from Chris Taylor resulted in Robbie Simpson finding space for a shooting chance just inside the area, but he was denied by an excellent sliding challenge from Danny Foster just in the nick of time.

Simpson then flashed an effort wide from 20 yards when the ball fell kindly for him from a long punt forward, but it was Wycombe who were playing the better football, looking to capitalise on a Latics defence which looked reluctant to make a tackle.

Wanderers' best effort of the opening quarter came from Martin Rowlands when his left-footed volley sailed wide from 20 yards, but the hosts were gradually gaining a stronger foothold in the game and looked the more likely to break the deadlock.

They could have been awarded a penalty on 27 minutes when Grant Basey seemed to pull Shefki Kuqi to the ground inside the box but referee Mr Webb was making no friends amongst the Boundary Park faithful, waving the appeals away and warning Kuqi for his subsequent complaints.

Oldham continued to press as the half draw to a close and almost took the lead when Grant Basey knocked the ball on for Robbie Simpson in the six-yard box, only for the striker to be denied at point-blank range by a superb save from Nikki Bull.

The same pattern emerged at the start of the second half, with Bull tipping Jean Yves M'Voto's header over the bar before Filipe Morais long-range effort was a few yards too high.

A rare opportunity presented itself to Wycombe on 57 minutes when Leon Johnson was left unmarked from Scott Donnelly's corner but the defender failed to make contact six yards out, and the ball fizzed out for a throw-in on the far side.

But, as often happens in football, the visitors were instantly made to rue that miss when Oldham opened the scoring just before the hour-mark. Chris Taylor escaped from Danny Foster down the left and provided the perfect cross for James Wesolowski to volley home at the near post.

They came close to doubling their lead when Taylor's volley from the corner of the area fizzed just past the woodwork, before Gary Waddock responded by making a double change, with Kadeem Harris and Joel Grant replacing Gareth Ainsworth and Scott Donnelly.

Jordon Ibe was then introduced after Martin Rowlands received a whack and he added a much-needed touch of creativity to the frontline, although goalscoring chances were still eluding the visitors.

At the other end, a slip from Leon Johnson presented a golden opportunity for Simpson to make it 2-0 but although his clipped effort beat Nikki Bull, Dave Winfield was on hand to head the ball to safety with a superb clearance.

However, the second goal wasn't far away, and it came in the simplest possible fashion. Chris Taylor's corner was passed to the edge of the area where Dean Furman was waiting to smash the ball home from 20 yards, without a defender in sight.

A tame ending to the game ensued as the Latics comfortably held on to their lead, and Wycombe were left to ponder how the same side that performed so well at Hartlepool could surrender with barely a whimper against a mediocre Oldham outfit.

    Latest Match Reports