Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 16 Aug 11 at 19:19 PM


A superb all-round performance from the Blues earned a 3-1 victory in East London on Tuesday night as Leyton Orient were put to the sword for the Blues' first victory of the season.

Most of the drama came in the first half, with Gareth Ainsworth picking out Ben Strevens to head home the opener after just eight minutes.

Orient levelled with their first chance of the game, seeing Dean Cox sweep home after Elliot Omozusi's cross had picked him out at the back post, but Wycombe regained the lead within two minutes when Scott Donnelly scored from spot following a foul on Stuart Beavon.

Joel Grant headed home another Ainsworth cross shortly after the break and after that, the result was never in doubt as the visitors strolled to victory.

Gary Waddock made two changes for the trip to East London, recalling Danny Foster and Stuart Beavon to the starting XI at the expense of Marvin McCoy and Scott Rendell.

Wanderers settled the better of the two sides and took the lead when Ben Strevens headed Gareth Ainsworth's inch-perfect cross past Lee Butcher on eight minutes.

The hosts weren't behind for long though as Dean Cox curled home former Fulham youngster Elliot Omozusi's cross from the right.

But Wycombe restored their goal advantage just a minute later courtesy of a Scott Donnelly penalty. With spot-kick specialist Rendell on the substitutes' bench, Donnelly stepped up and slotted the ball past Butcher after the inventive Stuart Beavon had been fouled in the box.

Russell Slade's men responded well with Cox in particular looking very dangerous for the O's, although it was Butcher who was next to be called into action, thwarting Joel Grant from the edge of the box after the winger had latched onto a flick-on by Strevens.

Orient cranked up the pressure before the break and created a number of chances, including a low drive from Stephen Dawson which whistled past Nikki Bull's left-hand post.

But some dazzling skills from Grant almost provided the opportunity for Wycombe to stretch their lead before the break, as he showed impeccable footwork to break away from two defenders before sending a low cross which only needed a slight deflection to take it into the net, but the crucial touch was just missing.

There was a scare moments after the interval when a header from Dave Winfield flew past his own following a teasing cross from Revell, and the reprieve proved to be a vital one as Wycombe increased their advantage just four minutes later.

A quickly-taken throw-in down the right allowed Ainsworth to sprint away from his marker and deliver an inch-perfect cross for Joel Grant to soar above his man and send a bullet header past Butcher, sparking jubilant scenes both on the pitch and in the away end.

The O's looked stunned, and the game then settled into a quieter period of play, with the visitors looking solid in defence and continuing the frustrate their desperate opponents.

Long-range efforts from Halls and Beavon looked to take advantage of a nervy-looking Lee Butcher in the Orient goal, but the scoreline never looked in danger of changing as the hosts began to run out of ideas in front of goal.

Substitute George Porter threatened to spark a comeback when he raced onto a defence-splitting pass and headed for goal, but, under pressure from Andy Sandell, he could only fire his low drive a yard wide of Nikki Bull's left-hand post.

Matt Bloomfield sent a shot into the side-netting on 90 minutes as Wycombe looked to put the cap on a fantastic away performance, and by the time the final whistle rang around the Matchroom Stadium, the O's fans were just relieved to be put out of their misery.

As away displays go, this was pretty much as complete as it gets.

Away fans: 480

    Latest Match Reports