Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 01 Mar 11 at 22:25 PM


Wanderers' top of the table clash with Chesterfield ended in disappointment as the home side ran riot with a 4-1 victory.

Deane Smalley swept home the opener in the first half after the Blues failed to defend a free-kick before Alan Bennett was harshly adjudged to have brought down Jack Lester in the box, with Danny Whitaker converting the spot-kick.

The visitors failed to produce an improvement in the second half and Lester made it three shortly after the break with a neat finish, while Jon-Paul Pittman volleyed a consolation as the game drew towards a close.

The last word was saved for Craig Davies, who seized on another defensive mishap to fire home and condemn Wycombe to a defeat they'll want to forget.

Alan Bennett's return to the starting line-up in place of the suspended Dave Winfield was Gary Waddock's only change for the clash in Derbyshire.

Chesterfield settled quickly at a bouncing b2net Stadium and Deane Smalley fired an early warning shot, sending a fierce drive wide of Nikki Bull's right-hand post.

Wycombe threatened for the first time just two minutes later when nice interchange between strikers Scott Rendell and Jon-Paul Pittman set-up skipper Gareth Ainsworth, who struck wide from 25 yards.

The hosts should have cemented their early dominance with the opening goal on 11 minutes but Jack Lester somehow guided Dean Morgan's teasing cross from the left wide from six yards.

Watford loanee Rob Kiernan was then cautioned for hauling down veteran marksman Lester, who nearly made amends for his earlier miss when he tested Nikki Bull after waltzing his way past a trio of Wycombe defenders.

John Sheridan's men deservedly took the lead on 27 minutes, but it's one the Wanderers players will won't to forget. Danny Whitaker's quickly-taken free-kick caught Wycombe out and Oldham loanee Smalley finished smartly from 15 yards.

The visitors' misery was compounded just six minutes later when Whitaker coolly slotted home from the penalty spot, after Bennett was adjudged to have fouled Lester by the assistant referee.

And only a tremendous stop from Bull denied Lester giving a rampant Chesterfield side a 3-0 lead at the break.

It could surely get no worse, but it took 30 seconds for the third goal to arrive. Another routine ball into the box found a blue shirt and it was Lester who wriggled away from Rob Kiernan to poke home at the near post.

Any hopes of a comeback had been well and truly extinguished as the confidence was drained from the visitors once again, and they were forced into a change when a callous push from Craig Davies forced Rob Kiernan over the hoardings onto a concrete floor, resulting in the defender leaving the pitch on a stretcher. Davies was only booked and Chris Westwood entered the field at centre-back.

Two more substitutions saw Kevin Betsy and Matt Bloomfield take the places of Gareth Ainsworth and Lewis Montrose, and it was Betsy who came close to finding a consolation when he cut in from the left and fired goalwards, only for Tommy Lee to make the save.

On the balance of play, a goal wouldn't have been undeserved and it came when Scott Rendell flicked on for Ben Strevens, whose shot was parried and Jon-Paul Pittman volleyed home.

Stuart Lewis then fired over the top when Rendell again found space while at the other end, Nikki Bull made a flying save to deny Drew Talbot's effort which seemed destined for the top corner.

Craig Davies then made a meal of a one-on-one opportunity but he got the goal his play deserved when Scott Boden outmuscled Alan Bennett and laid it on a plate for his strike partner to bury past Nikki Bull.

That was to be the last real action of the game as the match petered out, with Chesterfield content with their evening's work which leaves them well clear at the top of the table.

As for Wycombe, it was a night to forget as they look to bounce back against Gary Waddock's former club Aldershot Town on Saturday.

    Latest Match Reports