Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 22 Feb 11 at 21:40 PM


Wycombe burst back into the automatic promotion places with an emphatic 4-1 victory over Burton Albion courtesy of a brace from Stuart Lewis along with strikes from Lewis Montrose and Scott Rendell.

It took just 10 minutes to break the deadlock as Lewis burst through to smash past Adam Legzdins after the referee had accidentally blocked a Burton defender, and Montrose's deflected drive looped over the keeper on the half-hour mark to make it 2-0.

A magnificent 30-yard strike from Lewis made the lead even more comfortable before the break, and although Sam Winnell tapped home a consolation after the break, it was soon 4-1 when Rendell bagged his 12th goal of the season from the spot.

Jon-Paul Pittman was bundled over in the box by Darren Moore and Rendell calmly slotted home to secure the points - Wycombe's first win in five games.

The Blues made a bright start and one particular move had the fans purring within three minutes when Ben Strevens, Scott Rendell and Jon-Paul Pittman were all involved in a smart exchange complete with back flicks and quick-footed sidesteps around the Burton defence.

But the home side almost came unstuck five minutes later when a routine ball into the box from Jacques Maghoma found Calvin Zola in space, although the on-loan Crewe striker couldn't control the bouncing ball and the danger was cleared.

And when the action quickly shifted to the other end of the pitch, Wanderers were in front in controversial circumstances. The referee inadvertently blocked off a Burton defender and allowed Stuart Lewis to dart into the box, but the midfielder showed no sympathy and smashed home his first goal for the club.

Moments later, another flowing move from Wycombe released Jon-Paul Pittman down the left and he outpaced Tony James before stinging the palms of Adam Legzdins - another sign of the Blues' renewed confidence.

The desire and commitment from the home side couldn't be questioned as they threw themselves into challenges and chased down lost causes. One particular passage of play saw Dave Winfield win the ball back deep in Burton territory and laid it off to Gareth Ainsworth, who bent an effort just over the top from 25 yards.

There were still warning signs at the other end though, and a through-ball into the box picked out Jacques Maghoma, who could only lash wide of the near post.

But such chances were the exception rather than the rule, and an extravagant flick by Pittman gave himself the chance to lash goalwards on 25 minutes, with the keeper nervously palming his swerving drive around the post.

The second goal had been coming, and it was no surprise when it arrived, albeit with another slice of fortune. The ball broke kindly to Lewis Montrose 25 yards out and, after taking a moment to compose himself, he lashed goalwards and saw his shot loop off the leg of Darren Moore and over the stranded keeper into the net. Sometimes teams need luck in the middle of a bad patch of form, and Wycombe were grateful recipients of their share.

Scott Rendell then saw his shot parried to safety by Legzdins after more smart work resulted in Pittman playing the ball into the path of his strike partner's weaker left foot, before Pittman wasted a chance of his own by firing over from a promising position inside the box.

Wycombe were rampant, and they saved the best goal of the half until last with a goal to savour from Stuart Lewis. The midfielder collected the ball 30 yards out and unleashed a thunderbolt into the bottom corner - certainly a contender for goal of the season.

It was a stunning end to a thoroughly impressive opening 45 minutes and Gary Waddock's half-time message must have been to simply remain professional and see the job through to its completion.

The start of the second period was understandably low-key as Burton sought to retain dignity while Wycombe perhaps knew they didn't need to play at such a high tempo, but one of two nerves may have started to flutter when the visitors pulled one back on 55 minutes.

A routine corner was flicked on at the near post and Sam Winnall was given the freedom of the six-yard box to tap home, putting a spring into Albion's step and serving as a reminder that you can't afford to take your foot off the gas at any level.

Then Nikki Bull had to be alert to palm out Greg Pearson's fierce drive from a tight angle, but the three-goal cushion was restored moments later when Jon-Paul Pittman was felled in the area by a clumsy challenge by Darren Moore and Scott Rendell dispatched the penalty. Stuart Lewis had asked whether he might be given the chance to seal his hat-trick, but Rendell grabbed the ball and scored his third in three games.

Danny Foster then charged forward to get on the end of a Gareth Ainsworth cross but headed straight at Adam Legzdins with Rendell lurking behind him, despite the pair of them looking offside.

Foster later saw a lobbed effort cleared off the line by Darren Moore after the keeper's punch fell into his path and Wycombe were clearly the team in the ascendancy, always looking capable of adding to their tally.

Lewis was denied a memorable treble when he was replaced by Scott Donnelly with seven minutes remaining, and left the field to a standing ovation before both sides went through the motions ahead of the full-time whistle.

    Latest Match Reports