Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 06 Nov 10 at 17:00 PM


Gareth Ainsworth's winner deep in stoppage time sent Wycombe into the second round of the FA Cup at the expense of a spirited Hayes & Yeading United at Church Road.

The hosts looked set to force a replay in a classic cup tie which was full of heart, passion and late drama, with Stuart Beavon giving Wycombe the lead with a poked effort from 12 yards.

Nine minutes later, United earned a deserved equaliser when Bradley Pritchard swept home a cross from the right, although Wycombe's defence were adamant that the goal shouldn't have stood.

However the victory was clinched in the 94th minute when Gareth Ainsworth stabbed home from a goalmouth scramble to break Hayes hearts.

Gary Waddock named the same side that beat Gillingham 2-0 on Tuesday, with Dave Winfield keeping his place at centre-back.

Hayes started the brighter of the two teams and they were the first to threaten when Bradley Pritchard fired straight down the throat of Nikki Bull.

Bull had to be alert again a minute later, this time Wycombe's No. 1 was quickly off his line to deny former Blues trialist Jake Hyde.

The hosts continued to pepper the Wanderers' goal; firstly Andy Yiadom flashed an effort narrowly over the bar from the edge of Wycombe's box before United's captain Peter Holmes forced Bull into a save from 20 yards.

Wanderers responded well and Gareth Ainsworth nearly broke the deadlock in spectacular fashion on 21 minutes, but his audacious 40-yard volley was tipped around the post by Lee Harrison. From the resulting corner, Andy Sandell headed Scott Davies' delivery just past Hayes' right-hand post.

Gary Waddock's men were dealt a blow just before the half hour mark when Dave Winfield picked up his fifth booking of the season, meaning a one-game suspension for the giant centre-back.

Following spells of pressure for both sides, the game had a lovely ebb and flow to it for the remainder of the half and neither side would have been disappointed the goalless half-time scoreline.

However there was more tempo to the beginning of the second period and Kevin Betsy worked a decent opportunity to test debutant sub keeper Niki-Lee Bulmer, but dragged his effort wide of the near post.

Then on 52 minutes, Bradley Pritchard seized on a pass from Jake Hyde in the area but blasted over the top from a narrow angle, before Stuart Beavon beat the keeper to a high ball at the other end but sent his looping header just over the top.

Both sides were creating chances and after Danny Foster drew a save from Bulmer with a fierce drive from 18 yards, Nikki Bull had to be alert to dash from his line and deny Pritchard after he was sent through.

And after Andy Yiadom wastefully shot straight at Bull, Hayes were made to pay for their missed chances when Stuart Beavon broke the deadlock on 61 minutes. The home failed to clear a ball from the left and the striker showed tenacity to win possession and poke it into the corner to put the Blues in front.

Wycombe then looked comfortable with the lead but were pegged back nine minutes later when Bradley Pritchard swept home the equaliser from a low cross from the right. The visitors were appealing for a decision which seemed to have been awarded by the referee's assistant, only for him to change his mind once the ball was in the net.

Moments later, Wanderers could've been back in front when Gareth Ainsworth's mishit effort bounced back off the post and hit Ben Strevens in the head two yards out, rebounding unfortunately over the bar.

Eager to avoid a replay, Wycombe stepped up a gear and forced a series of half chances, with Beavon and Ainsworth both seeing chances saved while the defensive duo of Adam Bygrave and ex-Blue Tom Cadmore were forced to produce a number of brave blocks.

The game was now incredibly stretched and set up for a thrilling finale, with the home fans urging their side on for a classic FA Cup upset. But at the same time, Wycombe were keen to push on and they thought they had missed their chance to win it came in stoppage time, when Gareth Ainsworth scooped the ball over the bar whilst sitting on the floor following a Scott Davies corner.

But just moments later, another Davies corner caused mayhem inside the box and after one shot cannoned back off the crossbar, Gareth Ainsworth scored his second goal in two games by stabbing home and sparking memorable celebrations from the brilliantly vocal visiting fans.


6mins: SAVE - Bradley Pritchard fires straight down Nikki Bull's throat from 20 yards.

8mins: SAVE - Bull is alert again, this time to deny Jake Hyde after the striker had been put through on goal.

11mins: CHANCE - Andy Yiadom flashes an effort just over the bar from the right edge of the 18-yard box.

15mins: SAVE - Bull comfortably gathers Peter Holmes' long-range drive.

21mins: SAVE - Gareth Ainsworth's audacious 40-yard volley is well saved by Lee Harrison.

22mins: CHANCE - Andy Sandell heads Scott Davies' corner just wide.

23mins: CHANCE - Ainsworth curls a long-range effort over the top right-hand corner.

29mins: BOOKINGS - Dave Winfield for Wycombe and Jamie Hand for Hayes.

HT: SUB - Niki-Lee Bulmer replaces Hayes keeper Lee Harrison.

52mins: CHANCE - Pritchard fires over the bar from a narrow angle.

54mins: CHANCE - Stuart Beavon's looping header drops just over the top.

56mins: SAVE - A fierce effort from Danny Foster is saved by Bulmer.

59mins: SAVE - Nikki Bull races from his line to deny Pritchard.

61mins: GOAL - Stuart Beavon pokes home to make it 1-0.

70mins: GOAL - Bradley Pritchard levels matters, sweeping home a cross from the right.

71mins: CHANCE - Scott Davies' effort direct from the kick-off goes just over the bar.

72mins: CHANCE - Ben Strevens can't nod the ball home when Gareth Ainsworth's shot bounces back off the post.

73mins: SUB - Ahmed Deen replaces Andy Yiadom.

78mins: SUB - Elliott Buchanan comes on for Nathan Webb.

80mins: SUB - Scott Rendell replaces Ben Strevens.

90+3mins: CHANCE - Gareth Ainsworth puts the ball over the bar following a Scott Davies corner.

90+4mins: GOAL - Gareth Ainsworth wins it with a scrambled effort at the death.

    Latest Match Reports