Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 02 Apr 11 at 14:20 PM


A crowd of nearly 7,000 supporters saw Wycombe produce a dominant performance to collect a 2-0 victory over Stockport County at Adams Park.

The Blues had to overcome a couple of early scares from the visitors before Lewis Montrose opened the scoring emphatically with a powerful half-volley from Gareth Ainsworth's cross on 10 minutes.

Scott Rendell netted his 15th goal of the season before the break when Ainsworth's cross was handled inside the area and the striker made no mistake in slotting the ball home to double the lead.

Wanderers created a number of chances after the interval and could have added to their tally, but the victory and the entertaining performance was enough to send the thousands of new supporters home with a smile.

Buoyed on by the bumper crowd, the Blues began brightly but needed the smart reactions of Nikki Bull to remain level when the keeper denied Anthony Elding's close-range effort.

The chance came against the run of play and it didn't take long for Wycombe to stamp their authority, taking the lead in style when Lewis Montrose thumped home Gareth Ainsworth's cross from the right. Wanderers' captain skipped past his marker, clipped the ball towards the penalty spot and Montrose finished with aplomb, seeing his effort hit the inside of the post and bounce into the net.

James Vincent fired wide of the near post after escaping down the left flank as they proved that the early setback hadn't knocked their confidence, while Nikki Bull was called upon twice in quick succession to deny Elding and Jordan Rose.

But Wanderers improved and came close to doubling their lead on two occasions, firstly when Stuart Beavon fired over the top following a neat move before Gareth Ainsworth's header rose just over the crossbar.

And their pressure paid off when they were awarded a handball on 41 minutes when Adam Griffin handled Gareth Ainsworth's cross and Scott Rendell stepped up to coolly dispatch his 15th goal of the season to make it 2-0.

The second goal seemed to settle the Blues and they finished the half well, before producing an equally entertaining performance at the start of the second period, creating a number of openings.

Dave Winfield beat the keeper to an aerial ball on 53 minutes and after Leon Johnson's initial effort was blocked, Stuart Beavon's goalbound drive was cleared off the line by a posse of County defenders.

Then Beavon was denied by the keeper's legs when forced wide inside the area before Gareth Ainsworth sent another header over the bar, with Wycombe being by far the dominant side.

Stockport gradually showed signs of improvement and Nikki Bull needed to produce a good save to keep out Greg Tansey's swerving effort from distance.

At the other end, Kevin Betsy shot straight at Ian McLoughlin after being released by a fine crossfield pass from Keiran Murtagh, while Scott Rendell curled just over the top after Scott Donnelly's lay-off, before seeing his next effort blocked by the keeper from 18 yards.

The striker was seeing plenty of the ball and when Rendell was put through after a lofted through-ball, he beat McLoughlin with a lob but saw the ball land just over the crossbar.

Aaron Brown missed an excellent chance to pull one back for County when his header from a corner bounced narrowly wide, before Andy Sandell came off the bench for his first appearance since suffering a knee injury in January.

There were no further chances as the Blues settled for the victory on a day where most of their promotion rivals also collected three points, although their game in hand at Hereford United on Tuesday night could enhance their position in the top three even further.

    Latest Match Reports