Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 26 Mar 11 at 14:56 PM


A three-goal blitz in nine first-half minutes gave Wycombe an excellent 3-0 win at Morecambe as Scott Rendell grabbed a brace to help move his side into 2nd place in League 2.

The hosts created the better of the early chances but fell apart when Rendell netted from the spot following a foul on Gareth Ainsworth, before the Wanderers captain slotted home moments later after racing through on goal from midfield.

Rendell secured the points on 45 minutes when he fired home from a Scott Donnelly pass, and although both sides had chances to add to the goal tally after the break, the Blues' victory never looked in doubt.

There was also a Football League debut for youth-team midfielder Josh Scowen, who came off the bench in injury time in place of Kevin Betsy.

Scott Donnelly started in place of the injured Matt Bloomfield for the trip to Lancashire, while Ben Strevens missed out through illness.

Morecambe were the first to threaten with just a minute gone when Phil Jevons forced a smart save from Nikki Bull after meeting strike partner Danny Carlton's cross.

Carlton himself then saw an effort deflect wide of the target after letting fly from the right-hand edge of the 18-yard box.

However, the hosts' best chance of a strong opening from the Shrimps fell to former Bury striker Jevons, but he was denied by the legs of Bull on 14 minutes.

Wanderers gained a foothold in the game midway through the half but were perhaps fortunate to take the lead courtesy of a Scott Rendell penalty on 35 minutes. Garry Hunter was penalised for a trip on Gareth Ainsworth and Wycombe's top scorer sent Barry Roche the wrong way to keep up his 100% success rate from the spot this season.

Things got even better for the Blues just two minutes later when Ainsworth robbed Hunter of possession on the halfway line, burst past Kieran Charnock and finished with aplomb to grab his 10th goal of the campaign.

Morecambe went close to reducing the arrears on 42 minutes but Carlton's close-range shot was blocked by the perfectly-positioned Leon Johnson.

Wanderers, now looking very dangerous on the attack, rounded off a clinical first-half showing in injury-time when Rendell stroked home his second of the afternoon and his 14th of the season after exchanging passes with Scott Donnelly.

Wycombe started the second half on the front foot and could have stretched the lead on 54 minutes when Donnelly curled an effort towards the bottom corner, forcing a save from Barry Roche with the ball landing to safety.

Moments later, Ainsworth missed a good chance to grab his second of the game when he darted into space around the penalty spot but poked his effort too close to the keeper, who saved comfortably.

Kevin Betsy's thunderbolt was then deflected over the top by Andy Parrish as the visitors looked to turn the screw, before Dave Winfield's flick from Scott Donnelly's corner went just over the bar.

The chances kept coming, and Barry Roche denied Gareth Ainsworth's deft flick with his legs on 67 minutes, before the action switched to the other end with Nikki Bull making a fine save to keep out Andy Parrish's snapshot following a corner.

Scott Rendell came close to his hat-trick following an excellent move between himself and striker partner Stuart Beavon, but Rendell's shot across goal from a tight angle went just wide of the far post.

Substitute Chris Shuker hit the crossbar with a smart effort from 20 yards before another effort from the corner of the box was kept out by Nikki Bull at his near post, and then Marvin McCoy was required to head Andy Parrish's header off the goal-line.

Keiran Murtagh came inches away from marking his first Wycombe performance in five months with a goal when Jon-Paul Pittman laid it off for him just inside the area, but the substitute midfielder's curled effort narrowly missed the far post.

Young midfielder Josh Scowen came off the bench for his first ever Football League appearance in stoppage time when he took the place of Kevin Betsy, and a late header for Chris McCready proved to be the last effort of a game which resulted in a valuable win for the Blues.

    Latest Match Reports