Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 16 Oct 10 at 17:51 PM


Wycombe succumbed to their first defeat in seven games as two clinical finishes from Craig Davies handed Chesterfield a scarcely deserved 2-1 win at Adams Park.

The visitors took the lead against the run of play and with one of their two sights of goal in the first half, as Davies headed home from Drew Talbot's right wing cross.

Wycombe bossed the opening of the second period and grabbed a deserved equaliser when Ben Strevens lashed home his first league goal for the club when Chris Westwood's goalward header was blocked.

But the Spireites regained the lead ten minutes later when Davies latched onto Jack Lester's through-ball to fire home, and Wanderers were unable to muster an equaliser despite some late pressure.

There were no surprises in Gary Waddock's starting XI for the clash as he named the same team for the fourth consecutive league game, while the visitors kept experienced goalscorer Jack Lester on the bench, preferring the pacier options of Craig Davies and Jordan Bowery up front.

And it was Davies who had the first sight of goal inside 4 minutes, although he fired wastefully over the bar after seizing on a loose ball inside the Wycombe area.

But Wycombe were inventive and full of confidence going forward, mixing up their play with combinations of dangerous crosses, neat one-twos and testing shots from distance, and Stuart Beavon and Kevin Betsy both drew saves from keeper Tommy Lee in the opening ten minutes.

Beavon in particular was looking a strong threat and his exquisite turn in the box on 13 minutes gave him the chance to fire goalwards, but Lee was equal to it and turned the ball behind for a corner.

Chesterfield at first were struggling to cope but gradually got a hold of the game, although they were still unable to test a resilient Wycombe defence. At the other end, Stuart Beavon found the net after Lee spilled Matt Bloomfield's low shot, but the offside flag cut the celebrations short.

And moments later, the visitors were ahead completely against the run of play when Drew Talbot's cross was headed home by Craig Davies on 27 minutes, stunning the Wycombe support into a brief period of silence.

The goal generated a lull in proceedings as both defences kept the respective attacks at bay, although it was almost a defender who levelled the scores when Alan Bennett headed a dangerous corner just over the bar from close range.

So Chesterfield led at the break but Gary Waddock would not have been too despondent at half-time, having seen his side carve open a number of decent openings. Unfortunately, the clinical streak in front of goal was still eluding them.

They were given two opportunities to hit the target through the free-kick speciality of Andy Sandell soon after the break, but for once the in-form left-back's shooting was below par, hitting the wall on both occasions.

The pressure was certainly increasing, and Gareth Ainsworth came close moments later when his shot was blocked by a host of white shirts inside the six-yard box following a teasing cross from Kevin Betsy.

Tommy Lee was then called upon to make a fine fingertip save to deny Lewis Montrose, whose 25 yard drive appeared destined for the top corner before the keeper's intervention.

But with Wycombe pressing forward, a Chesterfield counter-attack was never out of the question and they had a chance to double the lead when Davies broke forward down the right wing, cutting in and seeing his powerful effort saved by Bull.

It proved to be a crucial moment in the game as the equaliser followed just moments later. A sparkling move involving Beavon, Ainsworth and Betsy forced a corner, from which Matt Bloomfield's delivery found the head of Chris Westwood. The defender's effort was blocked but fell kindly to Ben Strevens, who lashed the ball home and celebrated by falling to his knees, demonstrating the end to his frustration of his drought without a league goal for the club.

But parity didn't last long. Having worked so hard to get back into the game, the Blues were undone by a routine ball through the middle which found Craig Davies through on goal, and the striker made no mistake in poking home from 12 yards the restore the visitors' lead.

The visitors were then a lick of paint away from stretching the win when Jordan Bowery's effort from the edge of the box took a deflection and cannoned back off the crossbar before falling to safety.

Scott Davies' introduction as a substitute almost had an immediate effect, with his fine through-ball finding Matt Bloomfield in the box, but he was muscled off the ball just as he was set to pull the trigger, winning a corner.

Wycombe pushed for a late equaliser but a robust defensive display from the Spireites kept them at bay, and the Blues will now look to get back to winning ways when they travel to Rotherham next weekend.


4mins: CHANCE - Craig Davies lashes over the bar from 15 yards.

8mins: SAVE - Tommy Lee spills Stuart Beavon's low drive but the ball falls to a Chesterfield shirt.

10mins: SAVE - The Spireites' keeper fists away an effort from Kevin Betsy from 20 yards.

13mins: SAVE - Another save from Lee, again denying Beavon's shot on the turn.

25mins: OFFSIDE - Stuart Beavon's tap-in is disallowed for offside after Tommy Lee again spills Matt Bloomfield's shot.

27mins: GOAL - Craig Davies undeservedly puts the visitors in front with a header from Drew Talbot's cross.

43mins: CHANCE - Alan Bennett heads wastefully over from a dangerous corner.

47mins: CHANCE - Andy Sandell steps up to take two free-kicks in quick succession but neither make it past the wall.

57mins: SAVE - Tommy Lee's fingertip save denies Lewis Montrose a goal against his former side, drilling the ball goalwards from 25 yards.

60mins: SAVE - Nikki Bull keeps out Craig Davies's effort at the near post after the striker cut in from the right wing.

63mins: GOAL - Relief at last for Ben Strevens who smashes home his first goal for the club after Chris Westwood's header was blocked.

68mins: SUB - Jack Lester replaces Ian Morris.

73mins: GOAL - Craig Davies runs through one-on-one in the absence of an offside flag and pokes home.

75mins: YELLOW - Kevin Betsy sees yellow for simulation.

78mins: CHANCE - Jordan Bowery's deflected effort crashes off the crossbar and falls to safety.

85mins: SUB - Scott Davies replaces Gareth Ainsworth.

90+3mins: CHANCE - Chris Westwood heads over the bar from Matt Bloomfield's corner.

FT: Wycombe Wanderers 1-2 Chesterfield

    Latest Match Reports